Brembo rotor failure on Cobra R

JoeJ

Established Member
Hey Guys,

Just to let everyone know, I had another failure of the front passenger side rotor at Hallett last weekend. The rotor cracked all around the hat. It did not come completely apart as I noticed some vibration in the brakes and came in early on the next to last session on Saturday.

This is the second failure at Hallett on the same wheel. I had installed new pads and rotors which I received from Brembo and only ran two days at Texas World Speedway and then three days at Hallett. I took the car in to the Ford Dealer this morning and changed out the wheel hubs and rotors on both front wheels. We did not find any problem with the hubs and the pistons in the calipers were fine. I have shipped off the hubs and failed rotor to Ford for analysis.

I am beginning to think that the 18 x 9" wheels, 275/35-18 race rubber, a 3600 lb car, and sharp turns at Hallett is causing a deflection and bending moment on the rotor and fixed caliper. The undercut area on the rotor is extremely thin and that is where the failure is occurring.

It might be time to consider a two piece rotor for tight road courses. I will let you know if Ford comes up with something definitive.

Pictures of the failures are on my web site as follows:

http://communities.msn.com/SVTCobraR/bremborotorfailure.msnw

Regards,

Cobra-R

Established Member
Joe,

Do you know of anyone that makes a high quality two piece rotor? I would be game if we put together a group purchase for it. This is just not something that we need to risk on the track no matter what the reason is for the failure.

Brian

JoeJ

Established Member
Brembo Rotors

Brian,

Brembo makes a good two piece racing rotor with a floating caliper. They are really expensive. I was quoted approx $750 for each side. I also believe that Wilwood makes a good one. I am not familiar with either. I will try and find out what the other open track guys recommend.

Kevin, do you have any recommendations?

Later,

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Brian do you think these would work?

Cobra R Brakes
cobr2.jpg

scjmach1

Established Member
Alan Chavis is working on a group purchase for the Cobra R brake duct kits from Sean Hyland. He can get them for $355 per set if he can get at least 10 people to go in on it. His e-mail address is [email protected] and I have ordered mine from him. I met him at Hallett last week.
I checked my brakes after reading about the rotor failures but mine look fine. I have Power Slot rotors on my 98 Cobra. They look just like the original rotor design from my car. Not like the 99 and newer cars. I did notice the rotor had rubbed the inside of the top caliper mounting bracket due to the rotor flexing.

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
No, there is not. In fact, they mounted the oil cooler right infront of the drivers side fog light opening so I would have to find a different place to put it so I could run hoses.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Brian,
I will get them for you. I will call Sean tommorrow and we will get them sent to you. I will check on the price. I would think that me being an SHM dealer I could get them for less than retail. Don't worry about these links since I was the one who brought them to the site. You can get them from the horses mouth.

kevin

brian - if tommy can get them cheaper than the 355, go for it. otherwise use the email address given by scj ([email protected]) and ask alan about the kit order.

dean - i would definetly figure a way to move the cooler to add brake ducts somehow. cool brakes is a biggie.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

Users who are viewing this thread