Brembo Install - bleeder valve torque spec....bit of fluid around threads

cheeser

Established Member
I installed the 4-piston Brembos today, along with the GT500 rotors in the back via the adapter. I tightened the bleeders snug, but didn't crank down on them...I couldn't find a consistent torque spec online, nor the ford instructions. Found everything from 75 to 150 in/lbs.

After the test drive to bed the brakes, I noticed a bit of fluid down the side of all four bleeders. I am hoping this was just residue left over from the bleeding (although I wasn't messy with bleeding)...didn't have anything inside the valve as I blew that out with brake cleaner when I cleaned the rotors. I just washed the car and brake area and took it for another test drive...didn't see anything on the outside bleeder on one side (didn't crawl underneath to check insides), but noticed just a hint around the threads on the other outside bleeder.

I found the 2011 online manual finally, and noticed it just had 89 in/lbs....looks like that is the same for the standard 2 piston and 4 piston brembos? Is that the correct spec for the Brembos?

I plan on torquing them down to 89 in/lbs tomorrow. However, if they still leak around the threads, any suggestions?

Last edited:

cheeser

Established Member
I'm a bit hesitant of Teflon. I assume the bleeders should seal properly without anything on the threads.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I typically torque mine to about 14 ft-lbs per the Brembo manual in my garage. I can verify that 14 next time I'm out there.

Sidebar: how was the rear install?

Journeyman27185

Established Member
The bleeders are not sealed by the threads, they are by the tapered seat at the bottom. Please dont use teflon tape. They may just need extra torque, otherwise make sure the seat is clean where it seals.

cheeser

Established Member
Are the bleeders "softer" than the tapered seat...can one just buy replacement bleeders again? If they still leak, I will pull them out and see if the seat is clean and reinstall.

Odd that I am having any leaks. Just bled both of my Toyotas last week without any issue.

cheeser

Established Member
Checked again today after 1 day of use and noticed a very small bit of fluid around the base of the outside bleeders...wasn't able to look at the inside bleeders. Took off the rubber caps and found them to be dry.

I seems that my next step would be to remove the bleeders, check to make sure they are good, check the seat, and then reinstall and torque down at 89 in/lbs per the spec and try again. Won't be able to do that until the weekend. I wonder if I should just go ahead and buy the speedbleeders as a future option as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread