Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brake kit...please come in

svtleen

Established Member
I just got a set of Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brake kit with 4 piston and 1 piece rotors installed on my 03 Cobra. My question is that it seems to depress lower to engage my brakes versus the stocker. Is this normal of Brembo kits or is it just new and needs time to break in???:??:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Sound like your rear brakes need adjusting. Go into an empty parking lot, start going in reverse ~5mph, then depress your brake pedal hard. That should adjust your rear brakes in and your pedal should come up a bit. That or you still have air in your lines from changing the calipers.

You should also flush your brake fluid to get back a hard pedal feel. I'd do a few quarts through until your fluid comes out pretty clear at each wheel.

Last edited:

Fat-cat

Established Member
Sound like your rear brakes need adjusting. Go into an empty parking lot, start going in reverse ~5mph, then depress your brake pedal hard. That should adjust your rear brakes in and your pedal should come up a bit. That or you still have air in your lines from changing the calipers.

I have never heard of this before cool

Chas

Established Member

You should also flush your brake fluid to get back a hard pedal feel. I'd do a few quarts through until your fluid comes out pretty clear at each wheel.

Thats how you adjust drums brakes there is no adjustment for disc brakes. You probably have air in the lines somewhere.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I just got a set of Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brake kit with 4 piston and 1 piece rotors installed on my 03 Cobra. My question is that it seems to depress lower to engage my brakes versus the stocker. Is this normal of Brembo kits or is it just new and needs time to break in???:??:

There could possibly be a little air in the system but IMHO what you are feeling is unbedded pads that need some time to burnish into the rotors. Right now your pads are new, they are not fully mated to the rotors and they take a little extra effort to stop the car. In addition, these new pads compress a little and it's going to take some time and heat cycles to harden them up to make the pedal feel less spongy.

Just like a new car, take it easy on the brakes for a while until they get mated and seasoned with the new rotors.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

svtleen

Established Member
Just to be safe I called my mechanic and will have him re-bleed the entire system and hope that will reduce the sponginess of the brakes. Thanks for all the feedback fellows.

svtleen

Established Member
135_4152.jpg

Jroc

Established Member
Looks nice!

I would love to do this mod one day if I ever get my hours back where I can start modding my car again.(being on 32's suck especially when I was use to working 60 hour weeks for years, but atleast I still have a job) I would love to put some of Bruces nice two piece rotors behind them though.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
FYI to all - Those are the Cobra R Brembo calipers.

If you don't bleed both the inner and outer side of the calipers you will feel what you described. Sometimes people dont realize that there are 2 bleeders on the Brembo calipers.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member

This is completely invalid, and this process will do nothing to the brake pedal.

svtleen

Established Member
Is that the 00 R kit?If so how is the braking performance of it?

They feel about the same with the stockers, but again I just bedded them in and have not fully use them yet. My mechanic said that they are better than stock cause they dont fade when under load like use on track. They do look way better than stock Cobras though!:-D

Users who are viewing this thread