Brembo 6 Piston Calipers

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
Anyone have a six piston setup up front on their snakes?

I aquired a set of Brembo Monoblocs (a brake upgrade from a porsche turbo) and the shop thats going to be installing them told me that our master cylinder may not be up to the job to properly supply fluid to these beasts. I understand that Baer made a monoblock that was similarly sized but am worried about the piston size on the calipers that are getting shipped to me.

Please let me know if you've had experience with this.

M

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
if the pedal goes to the floor then you need a bigger master cylinder.

the two components to this equation are how big the master cylinder piston is and how long the piston stroke is. i cant find my book on it but i think its in carroll smith's 'engineer to win'. it has the calculations.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.

and hey if you need a new master cylinder, thats ok. something out there somwhere can be made to fit :D

the question in my mind is how will the new calipers throw off your brake bias. i have no idea how you would adjust bias on a car with four channel four wheel a.b.s.

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
Yeah that is my biggest concern is the abs and the bias. I was planning on running the six piston brembos out front and four piston brembos out back to balence it out - I hope our MC is up to the part. If it isn't then I'm going to do the brembo 4 piston grand turismo up front and two piston somthings out back for 'looks'. I'll be very disapointed if thats the case.

Now in austrailia the ford falcon can come with what I want to do on my cobra so it shouldn't be hard! :(

Thanks for the reply.
M

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
The 6-piston BEAR units are much better quality units then the BREMBO'S. Don't get me wrong, the Brembo's are great but the BAER 6-piston race or street units have been flawless. Brembo has been around longer & has a big names attached to it but BEAR offers a better caliper. :bowdown: Return those & get the BAER's... :-D

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
do you have any tech to back that up or are you just evangelizing because you drink the baer kool-aid?

baer just puts their name on stuff from other companies so im not really sure how you are making that assertion.

I'm not denying that Brembo is a good product & yes I know that BAER works with Alcon... All I am saying is that little things make a big difference. Many Brembos do not have proper road going seels. That is fine for the track but for street duty that is un exceptable. The BAER units have a street & track version available. Brembo has a name & BAER has fact & numbers to back up their calipers worthiness. It's the most solid monoblock 6-piston caliper on the market today. I know it is a pricey unit but compared to the Brembo I feel it is noticabley better. Don't take offense, it is just my opinion bud... :beer:

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
The problem with the baer monobloc is that its not available and ready to the public. A select few sets went out to a few lucky folks and some of them had problems.

I was on a waiting list for a year with Baer to get a front setup and kept getting excuses that they're retraining their machinists and retooling yada yada yada... its the same excuses I got when I tried to order their GT upgraded C5 pbr setup - nothing evailable for our cars. Customer service has been terrible.

Issues with the monobloc continued:

* no availability
* calipers click with slotted rotors due to a poorly designed pad retension system
* bad customer service
* poor development for SN95/New Edge mustangs

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
and hey if you can make the math work between the caliper piston area and the volume of fluid needed to move it, there's nothing wrong with calipers off something else.

i appreciate a person's enginuity and style more than their spending power.

ive seen stangs with bigass porsche monoblock calipers before so i know this swap can be done.

01GTBlown

Established Member
DaleM said:

I have the 6 piston willwood track version (just a little bit bigger rotor) on the way, i'll let everyone know how it does and post the install.

01GTBlown

Established Member
Cool, i might stick with the pads as it only see about 90% track use and 10% street use. Usually only on the weekends i take it out and its either for an event or just to start it and run for a few down to the store.

Users who are viewing this thread