Brembo 4 piston users....

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I will say it is a ton more fun doing it in a group of like minded people. FOr years I was a group of one, which blew. We are an odd bunch, pretty diverse crowd. Two Cobras, a Vette, three 350zs, 1 G35, a couple of E30s, and the occasional Mini.

Kev, I bet money this event at VIR is goingt o be very much like the Darkside event, where it is more of a "social" event rather than a driving event, oh wait aren't all PCA events like that :lol:

Speaking of those two things if you guys are up for it and want to come hang out around some REAL race cars sometime :poke::-D I will be at VIR the weekend of Oct. 2-4 for the Grand Am Koni Challenge race. It would be good to meet you all in person and I will do my best to show you around our Mustangs. It will be the last race of the year and if all goes well we should win the championship so that would make it pretty cool too!

Anyways, good luck getting the brakes/cooling improved Greg. Great discussing it with you Bryan and Kevin.:beer:

Sloe Truk

Established Member
Speaking of those two things if you guys are up for it and want to come hang out around some REAL race cars sometime :poke::-D I will be at VIR the weekend of Oct. 2-4 for the Grand Am Koni Challenge race. It would be good to meet you all in person and I will do my best to show you around our Mustangs. It will be the last race of the year and if all goes well we should win the championship so that would make it pretty cool too!

Anyways, good luck getting the brakes/cooling improved Greg. Great discussing it with you Bryan and Kevin.:beer:

I think the HCC is October 3rd or I would take you up on it.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Off topic: Bryan, how do you like your 350Z? This past time I was at Summit I ended up running with one for much of one session. A guy named Randall from NY with a black one. I found we were remarkably even in many ways. I have some video of it if interested.
Do you and Kevin hook up much on track very often? Wait, do I need to run that by Dawn? :lol1:

Thanks for the invite Tom. I'll be there the following weekend unfortunately. Good luck. How close is it going into the last one?

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
LOL at Greg.

Bryan's car is an 03, which has less horsepower than the newer 350s. However, he has totally gutted the car to include the dash. We think his car weighs in under 3000lbs. My point is... no, we do not run together, despite me having well over 100hp on him. I can keep him in sight at RRR with the sweeping turns and long front, but not hang with him. At places like VIR and CMP that have some tighter sections, he can run off and leave me.

However, with his new exhaust and new tune and some other goodies like a god-awful big wing, I may be waving bye-bye from pit out.

Another one of our buddies has an 07 full weight, daily driven 350Z. I have more power, but we are about the same weight and he has better balance. In the end, we usually run pretty close to each other.

IMO, every time I drive one of their 350Zs, I have the same feeling I have when I drive a Z06.... "Man, that was nice. I wouldn't mind having one of those."

Sloe Truk

Established Member
Off topic: Bryan, how do you like your 350Z? This past time I was at Summit I ended up running with one for much of one session. A guy named Randall from NY with a black one. I found we were remarkably even in many ways. I have some video of it if interested.
Do you and Kevin hook up much on track very often? Wait, do I need to run that by Dawn? :lol1:

Thanks for the invite Tom. I'll be there the following weekend unfortunately. Good luck. How close is it going into the last one?

Really pleased with the Z, it has been a very gracious track car. I'm probably the only person ever that bought a Z to save money. tracking a lightning is damit expensive.

LOL at Greg.

Bryan's car is an 03, which has less horsepower than the newer 350s. However, he has totally gutted the car to include the dash. We think his car weighs in under 3000lbs. My point is... no, we do not run together, despite me having well over 100hp on him. I can keep him in sight at RRR with the sweeping turns and long front, but not hang with him. At places like VIR and CMP that have some tighter sections, he can run off and leave me.

However, with his new exhaust and new tune and some other goodies like a god-awful big wing, I may be waving bye-bye from pit out.

Another one of our buddies has an 07 full weight, daily driven 350Z. I have more power, but we are about the same weight and he has better balance. In the end, we usually run pretty close to each other.

IMO, every time I drive one of their 350Zs, I have the same feeling I have when I drive a Z06.... "Man, that was nice. I wouldn't mind having one of those."

Thenew mods you speak of:
Pillow balled front suspension
New tune, = higher rev limit and safe a/f, as well as more power :) a whopping 257 WHP, woohoo
And she just ducked under 2900 pounds with full tank plus my lard butt.

All in all, we roll together fairly effectively, until I get tired of playing nice :)

See wednesday night Kev

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Thenew mods you speak of:
Pillow balled front suspension
New tune, = higher rev limit and safe a/f, as well as more power :) a whopping 257 WHP, woohoo
And she just ducked under 2900 pounds with full tank plus my lard butt.

All in all, we roll together fairly effectively, until I get tired of playing nice :)

See wednesday night Kev

I'd be waving bye, too. I have you by 25 hp, but am up a ground shattering 841 pounds on you. However, I can have the AC while on sitting on grid. :D

Sloe Truk

Established Member
I'd be waving bye, too. I have you by 25 hp, but am up a ground shattering 841 pounds on you. However, I can have the AC while on sitting on grid. :D

I haven't had A/C in my Z for so long i forget to turn it on in other people's Zs. We'll have to make a point of getting up your way in the spring.

Kev, get ready to saddle up in the spring.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Here's the video of myself and Randall's Z. It's made me rethink them, and looks like a fun car. He shows up about halfway through. Before that it's me playing with my buddies and their Cobras.

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/6288712"]NASA HPDE 3 and TT Summit Point Aug '09 on Vimeo[/ame]

Like you say, going to the track with friends is a big part of the enjoyment.
And if you come up here, bring your waders. This was the Friday night as we were coning into the track.

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/6253997"]Summit Point Flood on Vimeo[/ame]

Have fun at VIR.

Sloe Truk

Established Member
good looking track. I've got some great video of us at RRR. I'll upload it as soon as I get home Monday.

Kev, if you have the itch and want to upload it somewhere go ahead, you got those videos.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'd like to see that. I used to go there back in the 70's when I played with bikes.
I'd love to get the car there sometime. But I'm not as nomadic as I was then.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
As a wrap up, here's the rotor now that the street pads are back in.
I did re-bed them, and then put 70 miles of easy and hard driving on them.
Then I pulled the pads and they seem fine in the caliper.
The groove in the pic (from the screw backing out) is so slight you cen't feel it with your fingernail.
Now to address my cooling ducts. :D

after.gif

Chris Yates

Established Member
Hi Greg,

Somewhat off topic... Have you run any of the Cobalt pads? If yes, how did they compare to the Hawk 70s (bite, resistance to heat, wear).

Thanks,
Chris

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Hi Greg,

Somewhat off topic... Have you run any of the Cobalt pads? If yes, how did they compare to the Hawk 70s (bite, resistance to heat, wear).

Thanks,
Chris

Nope, Chris. I started out using EBC, and went to Hawks about 5 years ago, and have just tried different compounds in their line-up.

GordsFord

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Greg, have yoy used the Hawk HT10's and also the newer DTC70 pads? I am using HT10's with Stop Tech 4 piston, 13" rotors on my 03 Cobra. I have not tried the DTC70's yet. Any comments re your experience?

Gord

GordsFord

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Greg, have yoy used the Hawk HT10's and also the newer DTC70 pads? I am using HT10's with Stop Tech 4 piston, 13" rotors on my 03 Cobra. I have not tried the DTC70's yet. Any comments re your experience?

Gord

GordsFord

I had gotten a slightly used set (one weekend) of HT10s when I got my Brembo calipers about 4 years ago.
I used them twice, but they seemed to need more heat than I could get into them, at least on the track I was on at the time (Summit Point-Shenandoah).
I mostly used Hawk Blues, they worked well for me. This is my first set of DTC70's I just finished up on, I got 6 track days out of them, and have a new set to replace them with next time I'm back out there. I have been able to compress my brake zones slightly with them.

It's not really a fair comparison between the HT10 and the DTC70, since the HT10s were used, and I didn't try them back to back. I liked the Blues better than the HT10, and I like the DTC70 better than the Blues. But so many other factors come into play. Different tracks, different tires, etc.

I would suggest you try the DTC's and see how they feel. They seem to be the direction Hawk is going in.

Let us know when you do. :thumbsup:

Chris Yates

Established Member
Greg, is the picture on page one of the this thread what you call "finished" DTC70s?

If yes, please send me all your finished pads. ; )

Chris

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I consider them finished because once there's less than 1/4" of backing, you lose much of the insulating properties of the pad, and the fliud gets too hot.
Those average .223".

But I hold on to them anyway, just in case I need them someday. :rollseyes

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I consider them finished because once there's less than 1/4" of backing, you lose much of the insulating properties of the pad, and the fliud gets too hot.
Those average .223".

But I hold on to them anyway, just in case I need them someday. :rollseyes

Greg:

You can take some old thin used up pads and scrape the old brake material off of them and grind them smooth. Then use them as isolators for your thin pads to keep the heat out of the caliper. :idea:

It's worked for me! ;-)

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread