Breaks

damon94

Established Member
Breaks are shot and need to be replaces. Dealership wants 400 to replace the fronts. I figure now is as good a time as any to upgrade.

First I hate the stock breaks cause my wheels are always dirty. Also im trying to stay under 1000 for fronts. Any advice/opinions/links are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

svtmadman

Established Member
Brakes??? ahh just giving you the business....id up grade rotors and somekind of race pad if it was me. It will push the 1000 mark im sure. Maybe since you do the track days some cooling ducts as well.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
I paid $665 for all 4 rotors.

Blaine, In your first link it shows a pic of 4 rotors but the description says fronts for 695. Is it really just the fronts or is it all 4 like the pic? Although those 2 piece rotors have got to be lighter.

ND1381

Established Member

Blaine, In your first link it shows a pic of 4 rotors but the description says fronts for 695. Is it really just the fronts or is it all 4 like the pic? Although those 2 piece rotors have got to be lighter.

Did you pay $665 for the Stillen or the Bear rotors and from where?

ridin93

Established Member
I just installed Hawk Ceramic front pads on my 07 and the brake dust has been cut down to almost nothing. Stopping power is better IMHO than stock pad.

69b302

Established Member
Stillen wants too much for their brake rotors. Baer sells a 2-piece slotted/cross drilled rotor for under 700.00.

- Shelby Performance Parts LLC.

You can get the Front and the matching rear upgrade for about the price of one front set of the Stillen brakes.

Baer brakes, rear: Performance &amp Brake Kit Rear - Shelby Performance Parts LLC.

The front kit, specific for the GT500, is still not out yet from Baer. I contacted Baer and they indicated they would not be making front replacement rotors(that work with the Bembro calipers), only their complete upgrade kit of rotors and calipers period. Shelby said at least 6 month out at the beginning of the summer. I hope they do eventually make the front kit, since I have the reat kit, and the Stillen's are just too much for me.

Blaine

Established Member

$695 is for just the fronts... if it was all 4 for $695.. I'd be worried about
quality.

More companies need to step up and make 2-piece replacement rotors for the Front/Rear of the GT500's. I just want some lighter rotors all around that won't cost a fortune in the process. Baer is silly if they are not making replacements for the stock brake rotors. I dont' need their 6 piston race brakes that add a TON of weight to a all ready FAT PIG of a car that won't see a race track.

Van@RevanRacing

If you open track the car definitely stick with a two piece rotor especially with a GT500 and the additional weight up front. I separated the rotors from the hats on one piece rotors at Daytona last year at about 170 MPH. I started to downshift and heel toe and nothing. Fortunately I was going into turn one and there is a huge run off there and I was able to scrub off the speed before NASCAR turn 1.

Had I been in a sharp turn with that type of catastrophic failure I would have spun right into a wall and possibly worse damaged the car or gotten hurt.

With that said, if you open track the car, the piece of mind you get from a two piece rotor even though the cost differential maybe higher, if I don't get hurt and the car doesn't get hurt or damaged, it was worth every penny in my book.

I use dba Rotors and they work great. I actually take it a step further and have them cryogenically treated as well by a company that treats rotors for Indy Car. Extends rotor life by about 30 to 50%.

One piece rotors in the rear on a 500 are not that big of a deal because so much of the braking bias is up front.

Users who are viewing this thread