Breaking half shafts????????

HB4025

Established Member
Ok guys i am getting ready to buy a set of 315 BFG DRs and a set of additional 10.5 chrome cobras. But I am terrified of breaking an axle going down the strip or even getting nasty on the street, now i dont plan on doing any dirty 6k launches but still very worried.

Just curious what are the chances of me keeping my axles in tact with this kind of rubber??

And before you say it, i am getting great deal on these, so thats why i am not going with the milder nittos.

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Do you like to play craps?? Dude you never know when it's gonna break. Whats the worse thing that can happen? You break a half shaft and upgrade to the better ones!! I think ford is in on this.

HB4025

Established Member
Yeah i know i am wanting to do a solid axle anyways, maybe this will give me an excuse now. But still i would like to know what my chances are so i dont go spending extra money on more mods when i should be saving for a new rear end, either way i hate the IRS and yes i think ford is in on it!!

BTW i am not a dude.:thumbsup:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Like 11sec cobra mentioned, as long as you don't wheel hop you will be ok.

Our IRS can hold a decent amount of HP, but it can't hold up against wheel hop. As long as you don't launch too hard, our IRS can hold 500+hp. But once you start to hop and everything is banging around you will break something.

HB4025

Established Member
Originally posted by JKD COBRA
Like 11sec cobra mentioned, as long as you don't wheel hop you will be ok.

Our IRS can hold a decent amount of HP, but it can't hold up against wheel hop. As long as you don't launch too hard, our IRS can hold 500+hp. But once you start to hop and everything is banging around you will break something.

Yeah the IRS defintily takes some time getting used to, especially since i am so used to live axles. But yes i have the wheel hop curse also, which im all of us do, i have some bushings on the way but the only real solution is a solid axle. But either way i plan i breaking something, i just cant seem to baby a car that much, especially with some DRs. But like i said i think i will be fine as long as i dont do any nasty 6k dumps, which i know better, but still soooooo tempting. :beer:

BTW April 25th???? Thats not my B day??????:??:

kaboom

Established Member
BTW April 25th???? Thats not my B day??????
Im calling that physic school back for my money.BTW who do you like for the derby???

HB4025

Established Member
Physic school:D

Wow i havent truthfully payed attention to the horses in quite some time, derby time is soo crazy around louisville i generally am just in a drunken stuper for 2 weeks. THE ONLY GOOD TIME TO LIVE IN KENTUCKY!!!!!:beer:

davidmax

Established Member
on 450 rwhp and above its not if,just when,Dave Smilovic
PS: The solid 8.8 saves around 100+ lbs

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
Like dave said. Not if... but when.
I'd say your chances for breaking a halfshaft at the track is right around 100% give or take a tenth of a percentage point or so:p

Seriously though.... go solid. Nothing like a solid shaft in the rear:) uuhhh I mean.... well you know what I mean:rolleyes:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
i have some bushings on the way but the only real solution is a solid axle.
Not really, there are GKN halfshafts coming out soon and DSS has all you need to build up your IRS to withstand 800+hp. It may be more expensive then swapping your IRS for another mustang's live axle, but you dont have to build up the whole IRS. You could start simple, go with aftermarket halfshafts/Mjchip's differential brace/ and MM IRS bushings and that should be plenty strong.

Unless you only race with slicks and drop the clutch at 5500rpm everytime, I really don't think you "need" to swap to a solid axle, but thats just my opinion. It takes practice to be good with the IRS at the strip, but its not impossible.

wjfawb0

Established Member
Seems like the path to launching on the IRS goes this way:

Get upgraded half shafts (like DSS with 300M center bars at least)
Get differential girdle (like mjchip's)
Get 26 spline tranny input shaft with new clutch (liberty makes these from GM input shafts)

Then, just launch hard until you destroy the transmission. :-D

I broke a half-shaft the other day on nitto 315 555Rs. Here are two different videos of the breakage:

http://sweb.uky.edu/~wjfawb0/vids/JasonShort.wmv

http://sweb.uky.edu/~wjfawb0/vids/half_shaft_break_2004_3_13.WMV

Pics of the shaft:

half_shaft_broken.jpg

half_shaft_broken2.jpg

half_shaft_broken3.jpg

half_shaft_broken_cv_joint.jpg

The center bar broke. Drive Shaft Shop (DSS) claims that this is the weak point, and it seems to be the piece that fails most of the time. When I break another half shaft, I will go for the upgraded center bars at a minimum. I already ordered a girdle from mjchip to help keep the differential cover in one piece.

-Jason

HB4025

Established Member
Ohhh the pics of your torn rear end gives me the shivers!!! But i was planning on doing some new halfshafts untill i get the solid put it. But right now just still looking for a decent price, but either way i still BY FAR prefer the solid over IRS anyday!!!!:beer:

wjfawb0

Established Member
Originally posted by HB4025
Ohhh the pics of your torn rear end gives me the shivers!!! But i was planning on doing some new halfshafts untill i get the solid put it. But right now just still looking for a decent price, but either way i still BY FAR prefer the solid over IRS anyday!!!!:beer:

I am actually from Shelby County KY. I'll be in Louisville tomorrow afternoon in my Cobra. You ever visit louisvillestreets.com or 502streetscene???

-Jason

wjfawb0

Established Member
Originally posted by 04-MystiChrome
"Dude-Et"-Just don't hop them-You'll be good.

Nice mod list, I have some of your mods. The Valentine 1 is definitely one I would recommend to other Cobra owners. :D

kaboom

Established Member
Originally posted by JKD COBRA
Not really, there are GKN halfshafts coming out soon and DSS has all you need to build up your IRS to withstand 800+hp. It may be more expensive then swapping your IRS for another mustang's live axle, but you dont have to build up the whole IRS. You could start simple, go with aftermarket halfshafts/Mjchip's differential brace/ and MM IRS bushings and that should be plenty strong.

Unless you only race with slicks and drop the clutch at 5500rpm everytime, I really don't think you "need" to swap to a solid axle, but thats just my opinion. It takes practice to be good with the IRS at the strip, but its not impossible.
I agree just look at jay knotts run.

raiders03

Banned
This is so f***ed. I am so paranoid I am going to break something now that I have the KB. Has anyone broke a halfshaft on the street? So lay it on me, how much is it to swap out that piece of shit on the rear of my car?

Users who are viewing this thread