Braves Baseball (Jason Heyward homer)

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
I was jumping up and down in front of the tv. I think it's going to be a good year for Braves fans. :rockon::beer::banana:

Am I missing something? What's the big deal? Plenty of ballplayers have homered in their first major league at bat through out the decades.

considering the sheer number of people who play the game, i wouldn't say "plenty have done it"

Home Run During First At-Bat by Baseball Almanac

That's not a bad total given the probability of someone homering in their first at bat. Ahh but how many of these first at bat homer hitters have gone on to become some of the great players of all time or even pretty pretty standout ball players? That list doesn't bode well for this Brave pup. the again you never know.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
You may not know.

But Heyward is gonna be a stud. Hype doesnt follow MLB players (EXCLUDING PITCHERS) like other leagues. If they're hyped its for a REASON, and they rarely fail.

goody03

i need more mods
Established Member
zambrano sucked sooo bad, he through him a meat ball. what do you want him to do with it, bunt? F that game sucked

Redmustang47

Mustang Obsessed
Established Member
Am I missing something? What's the big deal? Plenty of ballplayers have homered in their first major league at bat through out the decades.

yes, but not all of them have the amount of hype to live up to as Heyward. Plus most of the didnt graduate from highschool 2 years ago.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
zambrano sucked sooo bad, he through him a meat ball. what do you want him to do with it, bunt? F that game sucked

^^^ Chicago fan or just Anti-Braves? haha jk man

yes, but not all of them have the amount of hype to live up to as Heyward. Plus most of the didnt graduate from highschool 2 years ago.

What is hype? You refer to hype as if it equates to guaranteed success. As if baseball hasn't had other hyped players become nothing more than marginal, solid every day players. My own beloved Yankees had a super hyped player years ago named Ruben Rivera. He was considered to be a 5 tool player. A you can't miss talent headed for stardom. The most hyped ballplayer in NY in over 20 years. He showed the talent a few times with some tremendous homers, flashed the great arm and great speed, but ultimately couldn't make adjustments at the plate. Doesn't anyone here even know the name Ruben Rivera? Of course not.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
What is hype? You refer to hype as if it equates to guaranteed success. As if baseball hasn't had other hyped players become nothing more than marginal, solid every day players. My own beloved Yankees had a super hyped player years ago named Ruben Rivera. He was considered to be a 5 tool player. A you can't miss talent headed for stardom. The most hyped ballplayer in NY in over 20 years. He showed the talent a few times with some tremendous homers, flashed the great arm and great speed, but ultimately couldn't make adjustments at the plate. Doesn't anyone here even know the name Ruben Rivera? Of course not.

Tom Verduci from CNNSI said only two other players he remembers had this much hype, Griffey Jr. and Pujols. Yeah, they've been a real disappointment. :rolleyes:

ModMike1572

Established Member

I remember Ruben. I dont remember him to be hyped up as much as you are making it out to be. Not like Heyward, at least. Then again, I was young when he was drafted so I'm not really sure.

With that being said, Heyward has played a total of 3 games above the double-A level. Pitchers will get the scouting report on him and expose some of his weaknesses. We will see how he adjusts to pitchers at the big league level.

I never jump on bandwagons, and never buy into hype until they prove something, but I'm buying the hype on this kid. His bat speed is unreal and he's only 20. He has so much to learn, and already looks comfortable at the plate at that age. If you STORM through the minor leagues that means you have some serious talent. Its extremely difficult to make it through each level of the minors. It just keeps getting harder and harder and the percentage of players that ever make it to the big leagues is very low. If I had to bet, he becomes a future star in the big leagues. He reminds me of Ryan Howard. He wont be the next Ken Griffey Jr though. Heyward doesnt have the speed or defense like Griffey.

I remember Ruben. I dont remember him to be hyped up as much as you are making it out to be. Not like Heyward, at least. Then again, I was young when he was drafted so I'm not really sure.

With that being said, Heyward has played a total of 3 games above the double-A level. Pitchers will get the scouting report on him and expose some of his weaknesses. We will see how he adjusts to pitchers at the big league level.

I never jump on bandwagons, and never buy into hype until they prove something, but I'm buying the hype on this kid. His bat speed is unreal and he's only 20. He has so much to learn, and already looks comfortable at the plate at that age. If you STORM through the minor leagues that means you have some serious talent. Its extremely difficult to make it through each level of the minors. It just keeps getting harder and harder and the percentage of players that ever make it to the big leagues is very low. If I had to bet, he becomes a future star in the big leagues. He reminds me of Ryan Howard. He wont be the next Ken Griffey Jr though. Heyward doesnt have the speed or defense like Griffey.

Rivera was most certainly hyped in the same regard that Heyward is today. Every team in baseball wanted Rivera and I don't remember any Yankee ballplayer hyped like that in recent memory. Everyone gushes over Heyward on ESPN and that's fine but I've seen this before.

I'll let a few seasons pass before gushing over him.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread