Brand new but outdated drag radials question

wingsnut

Established Member
Hello,
Just thought I'd pick some brains here. I have a brand new set of Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials that have been sitting in my unheated shop unmounted for years. Last 4 digits of tire code is 4012. I take this to mean that they were manufactured the 40th week of 2012. I've always heard and have recently searched the net that 5-6 years is the life expectancy of a tire. Not sure what the guideline is for unused tires, but I'm thinking that the compounds in the tire are still deteriorating but maybe at a different rate since it hasn't been exposed to the elements. I was thinking of selling them, but when I seen the date I'm not sure I should. Thought I'd ask what people thought before I decide what to do with them.
Thanks

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Someone might be hesitant in buying them, but put them out there at a really cheap price. I think mine are from 08. They have like 10 track passes on them and still look new. Haven't used them in 3 years, but plan on using them for a few passes in the next month or two.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
As long as you're upfront about the age and how they've been stored, I think you're covered. Let the buyer decide if he wants to risk it or not.

wingsnut

Established Member
As long as you're upfront about the age and how they've been stored, I think you're covered. Let the buyer decide if he wants to risk it or not.

Yeah, kinda makes me nervous though. This is the code I believe is the date.

Attachments

• 4BBA41D7-62A1-4BA0-BCD5-884862654415.jpeg
    4BBA41D7-62A1-4BA0-BCD5-884862654415.jpeg
    324.9 KB · Views: 159

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I have an old set, not sure of the age but several years back and I am not going to run them. They get hard and do not perform well over time.

69b302

Established Member
1-2 years for best performance, but if they are stored properly they can be usable much longer. You can tell from the feel of the rubber how dried out they have become. A good drag radial should pick up all sorts of crap on the tread when rolling around(everything should stick to them).

Last edited:

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I had my MT ET Streets on my car 5 years. I've never done that before ! But I'm easier on the DR's than I was 5-6-7 yrs ago. Thesehad approx 7500 miles. This is what they looked like after they were off the car. You not see this condition when inflated & under weight. I emailed MT Tech the pics out of curiosity. They called my home 2 hrs later and told me 2.5-3 years tops and get them off because the softer tread + stiffer sidewall make for straight line traction but were never designed for 5 years on a car. They also told me MT's HATE the dyno as the car being strapped down the suspension is locked by the straps, all energy absorbed in the DR while not allowing the tire to flex. My shop thinks that's nonsense becaued they grab on the dyno...but hey.......I have new MT ET Street SS's since this past Monday. But condition of these tires..really rattled me !

Attachments

• IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1494.jpg
    IMG_1494.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 159

wingsnut

Established Member
I guess these will get dropped at discount tire for recycle next week when I get tires for my wife's car. Can't remember what I paid for them but I'm sure they weren't cheap. Damn, never even took the shipping labels off of them. Funny how you can get so wrapped up with some things in life that stuff like this slips by.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’d still advertise them as they can be used for mock up, burnouts, dyno tuning, rolling around shop, etc
Worst case recycling but someone may give you some $$$
What size and where located?
-J

Users who are viewing this thread