Braking cause mild shudder in the wheel, ideas?

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
My '14 has about 5k mis now, no mods.

With stock wheels and tires.

Light shudder or wobble in the steering wheel on moderate braking. Feel it from 30mph up. At 60+mph you can even see a slight wobble in the wheel when braking moderately or harder.

Need to have it looked at, just started about 2 wks ago, otherwise it's been perfect.

Any ideas or known issues? I need to find a good service dealer to take her in, my local one is blech. Open to recommendations for service dealers too in my area, MD.

Thanks.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Warped rotors or if the car has been sitting rotors could have groove in them from pads sitting in one spot. Not a post I expected to see from a member since 2002?

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Check for warping of the rotor and runout, if you get it sorted out make sure wheel nuts are torqued to specs. (100 ft./lbs) to prevent this from happening again.

railroad

Established Member
You need to spin the wheels while on a jack or lift. If you are running stock tires look for cracks or bulges on the tires. If it was not doing it previously, you should be able to rule out a bent wheel. If the tires spin out good, go to the rotors. Being strictly brake induced, sounds like a warped rotor. If the dealer does not check/correct the caliper after turning or replacing the rotor, it will probably reoccur.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Hmm, dumb question I guess, lol.

I'll be back & will put it on the lift Thur/Fri and check it out, but in the past there have some issues with warped rotors, modulators, ABS, etc being reported on previous years, so while on travel & thinking of it .. and having not been on the boards in a while, thought I'd toss this up & see if there's a known possible issue or TSB related to the brakes, like we had on the steering software on the 2011's. Didn't mean to come across as lazy or goofy. Thanks.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Hmm, dumb question I guess, lol.

I'll be back & will put it on the lift Thur/Fri and check it out, but in the past there have some issues with warped rotors, modulators, ABS, etc being reported on previous years, so while on travel & thinking of it .. and having not been on the boards in a while, thought I'd toss this up & see if there's a known possible issue or TSB related to the brakes, like we had on the steering software on the 2011's. Didn't mean to come across as lazy or goofy. Thanks.

Not a dumb question at all and I was actually going to suggest it could be the steering. There was another member a while back from Germany I believe with a 2013 GT500 PP that had bad shudder when he braked. Had new rotors and pads installed but still had the same issue. Turned out to be the steering software or something. I'll link it up if I can find it later.

Edit: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...lent-Steering-Wheel-Shake-Under-Heavy-Braking

Last edited:

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Not a dumb question at all and I was actually going to suggest it could be the steering. There was another member a while back from Germany I believe with a 2013 GT500 PP that had bad shudder when he braked. Had new rotors and pads installed but still had the same issue. Turned out to be the steering software or something. I'll link it up if I can find it later.

Edit: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...lent-Steering-Wheel-Shake-Under-Heavy-Braking

Thanks, I found that too about a wk ago too. Which made me not want to assume what seemed the obvious, and wondering if we're hearing anything about this kind of thing. In fact my 2011 GT500 had a whine/groan and mild wobble in the steering I noticed at open track events, I thought brakes or even my TF wheels, but it was a firmware update issue, and not brakes/wheels like I had immediately thought. Ole dog getting used to this new fangled electronic steering gizmo stuff.

Mine on the '14 is way milder than what he had though, I'd argue a 'normal' person probably wouldn't notice it, which is why I want a good dealer so I can drive it and show them, I'm sure a lame dealer will simply say it's fine. But I didn't want to just start pulling pads & rotors on my own and find it's a firmware issue, that would suck, like you point out. Really appreciate your input & posting the link, that's what makes the stang community so great. I will put it on my lift when I get home to look it over .. it is tempting to just jump to a rotor upgrade & use this as an excuse ;-)

Last edited:

carguy19

Established Member
Daffy,

Also dont rule out a bent wheel or a bubble in the tire. They can cause a feeling like you are describing.

Have your local tire place take off each wheel and spin it on a balancing machine. Or take a careful look yourself.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Daffy,

Also dont rule out a bent wheel or a bubble in the tire. They can cause a feeling like you are describing.

Have your local tire place take off each wheel and spin it on a balancing machine. Or take a careful look yourself.

Thanks, that's the first thing I checked, I have several sets of wheels & tires & when I first felt it, I swapped to see and it felt exactly the same. My bet now is on the rotors, but the steering fooled me before on my '11, so I'll verify that and go from there, thanks for the idea .. we obvious think alike.

Users who are viewing this thread