Brakes! and upgrade path

Splatter

Established Member
Hi was wondering if any of the racers could help me out on some brake questions. I have the Ford Racing ducts, braided brake lines, ATE blue brake liquid and rear dust covers off. Back on stock PFZ pads and ordered some Castrol SRF brake fluid.

Question 1)... My shop recomends I get Iron SRF discs with Hats from WILWOOD instead of the other Hatted alternatives from BAER or DBA with alloy rotors. Because of better cooling properties.

Question 2) Would getting a bigger rear disc from the 2013 GT500 help the cooling for the rear?? I have read that the lack of air to the rear and the small stock rear disc size is leading to overheating (link below).

S197 Mustang 13.8" GT500 Rear Brake Upgrade Kit - Vorshlag LLC

I am over heating and boiling my brake fluid on one track that has a steep down hill straight away with a 90 corner at the end. Almost all the heavy cars are having the same problem (except cars like the GT-R, ZL1,,, and the dam Porsches).

darreng505

Established Member
Be sure your pads can withstand the same heat your brake fluid can. The two should agree. If the pads are low temp then they will give out before the fluid and vice versa.

Last edited:

straightliner1

Established Member
Agreed^

At the very least a set of dedicated track pads and rotors should be budgeted for. A good set of track pads will cost approximately $300US.

isrboss

Established Member
I just tried Porterfield R4-E and Motul 600 fluid, and I was happy, on a square street tire setup. I drove to the track and from in the rain and the pads were fine on the street as long as you didn't expect a bunch of initial bite. I did not get a lot of brake dust either, and it was quite nice coming of track without the brakes smoking like a grill, and they still look to have almost new life left.

Edit: I wanted to add I was using ATE fluid as well and boiled it on PBIR, so I switched to Motul. I decided to go with their RBF600 instead of the 660, because the 660 is only 29* or so better than the 600. The 600 however is quite a bit better when wet.

Last edited:

Splatter

Established Member
Well will be ordering a set of pagid pads from Track day Solutions next week. RS29/RS56. Sound very promising!! should be a big step up form what I have been using. I tried stock, HPS and PFC Z pads. I thought the Z was the stock pad! In any case the stocks where the best so far.

The new Pagid pads and Castrol SRF hopefully will be all I need!!!!

Grant808

Established Member
Well, it sounds like you are *finally* going to a decent set of pads. I thought you were running one of the other PFC pads...the 'Z rated' pads have a reputation for being worthless on the track. I misunderstood when you've been typing 'PFZ pads'.

Don't worry about the other upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread