brakes, 4 or lug (86 notch)

dutchrower16

Established Member
brakes, 4 or 5 lug? (86 notch)

I currently have a 86 notch with a 4 lug setup. Trying to figure out if I want to stay 4 lug or upgrade to 5 lug, if I upgrade, I don't see a cheap option. Anyone have any ideas?

Or should I stay 4 lug and upgrade the rear drums to disc brakes? I can get a SSBC rear disc kit for 700.

What are the benefits would I have by going to 5 lug? (beside wheel options)

Or would I be ok just upgrading the rears to 4 lug disc?

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
I believe the 5 lug disc brakes ESP the cobra setup offer better performance. I don't think they make a 4 lug setup in the same size roughly 13/12 inch rotors. Also the availability of replacement parts and the wheel choices.

my92gt

Established Member
I have about $800 in my whole 5 lug conversion. With that being said there is no way I would pay $700 just for rears. I am using maximum Motorsports brake lines, SN-95 spindles, cobra front brake setup, moser fox length axles with 94-04 flange, 94 gt rear brakes with north racecars brackets, latemodel's e-brake cables for rear discs, and a few other things. Once I'm done I'm going to post up a thread with part numbers and parts that I've used, how much was the grand total, and where I bought them from.

Users who are viewing this thread