Brake upgrades - can I use a Brembo 4 piston setup off a 07 Shelby?

Jiffy

Established Member
Hi guys
After a long wait, I get to pick up my 2002 Cobra tomorrow after having the 2.3L Whipple and other mods fitted and then dyno'd - I will post back with Dyno numbers. One last area that I find troublesome is the tendency for the brakes to fade badly when driving hard.
I have 18' Cobra R wheels (copies), STD Cobra calipers recently rebuilt, drilled and slotted discs all round (new) and EBC Yellow (street/track compound) pads. The brakes just aren't good enough. After market items for a Cobra are non-existent in Australia but there are a FEW Shelby's around, and a set of good/used front 4-piston Brembo calipers w/discs has come up - do they fit?
What is the hot ticket for brake mods? Thanks in advance......

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're hard on the brakes you might want to ditch the drilled/slotted rotors and go for blanks or maybe just slotted. Less material means less ability to absorb and shed heat.

The GT500 brakes aren't a direct bolt on. But I think there was a company making brackets for a while. I want to say it had Venom in the name. I cold be wrong. Otherwise I think your only choice is to upgrade to one of the aftermarket offerings.

94slowbra1

Established Member
03 cobra i assume, not 2002? and no the gt500 set up arent direct bolt ins. vintage venom was the company making the brackets for them but has since stopped i believe.
there are a bunch of ways to upgrade. first, on any way you decide to go, get a good 2 piece slotted rotor. good pads make all the difference. good fluid also plays a big role in how long you get before fade.

Jiffy

Established Member
Hi guys - thanks for responding. It seems that it can be done with ^this^ kit but it would force the wheels out too far - but it was a great idea!!
Finally - yes, a 2002 Cobra. I've put a 2003 drivetrain in it, but it's build date is Jan '02.

01yellercobra

Established Member
03 cobra i assume, not 2002? and no the gt500 set up arent direct bolt ins. vintage venom was the company making the brackets for them but has since stopped i believe.
there are a bunch of ways to upgrade. first, on any way you decide to go, get a good 2 piece slotted rotor. good pads make all the difference. good fluid also plays a big role in how long you get before fade.

He's in Australia. They had the 2002 model year. Unlike us.

Users who are viewing this thread