Brake upgrade

slalomdude

Established Member
After smoking my front brakes the other day, Iam thinking of upgrading the pads and rotors. Does anyone have suggestions that wont break the bank !!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by slalomdude
Aren't our stock calipers brembo, is it worth changing calipers

Our stock calipers are 2-piston PBR. We have the basically the same ones that were stock on the ZR-1 and are very similar to the ones found on C-5s the only major difference is the piston diameter on the Corvette is slightly larger.

03CobraFreak

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
I dont think those brakes alone will help with the brakes smoke.

Id rather go a little deeper in the pocket & get the 4 piston calipers.

Agreed Poisonous Mods, when he said he wanted something that would not break the bank I wasn't sure if he wanted to spend $2000.00 for a pro system or not... :beer:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraFreak
Agreed Poisonous Mods, when he said he wanted something that would not break the bank I wasn't sure if he wanted to spend $2000.00 for a pro system or not... :beer:

The Cobra R 4-piston Brembo kit goes for ~1100.00 and the Wilwood 6-piston kit goes for ~1250.00. I personnally would do the Wilwood or Stoptech kit if I was going to upgrade the calipers. For a street car or casual track car upgrading the calipers really is not necessary all you really need is a good set of pads like the Autozone PFC Z set or one of the other good sets. I would recommend staying away from Hawks.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by slalomdude
What rotors would you recommend, are those pads really from autozone

Yes they are and they have a lifetime warranty so they are replaced for free when you need a new set. They are used by a lot of people especially open trackers that get a new set for free before races. We have Brembo 13" rotors stock I don't know what you would replace it to just stay away from cross-drilled rotors.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
The Brembo rotors we have stock are great rotors to begin with. If you want the looks of slotted and crossdrilled you will shell out more bucks. I'm told that unless you do a lot of trackevents that crossdrilled are all show and no go compared to the stock system we already have.

Due to the fact we dont brake as hard as we would on a roadcourse or slalom racing that crossdrilling does not do much for normal road driving other than look real cool.

Be sure no matter what system you go with that you bed and season your rotors and pads according to MFGR guidlines. This is most important with new systems. If you do not properly season the crossdrilled rotors that will be more suscetable to cracking. :)

Last edited:

Bingo13

Established Member
Buy a set of Porterfield R4-S pads, SS Lines, and change the fluid to Motul DOT4, Castrol LMA, or Ford HD. This is a very good street setup with our stock calipers and rotors. If you plan on heavy autocross or OT then I would worry about the rotor/caliper upgrades unless you like bling bling. :D

BadAndy

Established Member
upgraded brakes

If you are willing to spend the money the stoptech kit is a great upgrade from stock, 4 piston 2 piece rotors. It balances well with stock rear brakes as well.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
The Cobra R 4-piston Brembo kit goes for ~1100.00 and the Wilwood 6-piston kit goes for ~1250.00. I personnally would do the Wilwood or Stoptech kit if I was going to upgrade the calipers. For a street car or casual track car upgrading the calipers really is not necessary all you really need is a good set of pads like the Autozone PFC Z set or one of the other good sets. I would recommend staying away from Hawks.

I agree, your smoking is coming from the pads, the calipers are not going to improve your situation just by adding 4 piston instead of the two piston units. (no matter what brand you consider)

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by KHsonic03
Cobra R- You have a very nice lineup of vehicles. I'm very jealous!!:)

Thanks, I be lucky to have this toybox, and I realize it. :beer:

Bingo13

Established Member
street bling bling...have the track bling bling around here somewhere... really you just need to upgrade the pads, lines, and fluid first. :thumbsup:

cobratirefronter.jpg

Lomancobra

Established Member
I agree that the pads, lines, and fluid will improve the smoking situation, but what if I want better response and stoping distance? I'm thinking of moving the front brakes to the back and then putting a 4 or 6 piston setup up front.

Users who are viewing this thread