Brake upgrade

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
I love brakes.
dsc_0001.jpg

The hat is from TCE Performance. Ask for Todd.
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/

The rotor is from Coleman Racing as per the spec sheet that came with the hats
http://www.colemanracing.com/

The NAS hardware is from Coast Fabrication
http://www.coastfab.com

Braided brake hoses can be had from StopTech, Russell, and Goodridge. The Russell and Goodridge kits include the rears.

I find that Race Shopper has good prices on brake stuff.
http://www.raceshopper.com/

The 2000 Cobra R brake kit from FRPP [M-2300-X] comes with the Brembo Lotus calipers cast so they bolt up to a Mustang spindle and brake hose. The banjo bolt is fine thread.

You're on your own as far as 00R brake ducts go. I scrounged for a while until I found a set for sale.

Hawk HPS pads are dusty and noisy and stop better than stock, HP+ are dustier and noisier and stop way better than stock pads. I'll let you know what the Hawk blues do for me after this weekend's track event. Try different brands and see what you like.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I just upgraded front and rear rotors to the slotted BAER Eradispeed I's (not the crossdrilled ones as per the recommendation from Xtreme). Hawk HPS performance pads all around.

Let me tell you this, now the car brakes so well the antilock system kicks in on all four wheels when you stomp on it at 50 MPH!!! :rockon:

I never had this happen with the stock setup.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
I just upgraded front and rear rotors to the slotted BAER Eradispeed I's (not the crossdrilled ones as per the recommendation from Xtreme). Hawk HPS performance pads all around.

Let me tell you this, now the car brakes so well the antilock system kicks in on all four wheels when you stomp on it at 50 MPH!!! :rockon:

I never had this happen with the stock setup.

NICE!!! Where did you pick up those rotors??

predator

Established Member
I just ordered my brake ducts from BDRacing for $199. Thanks Marwane!! I too look everywhere and nobody had them.....reasonable. The duct slips over the hole next to the fog light and zip tied. The rest of the duct....as shown in Shelbyguy's photo is zipped all the way to the custom splash shield on the back side of the rotor. Makes a huge difference when tracking, but you won't notice much of anything for normal street driving.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced-03
NICE!!! Where did you pick up those rotors??

Xtreme Motorsports. They special ordered them on all 4. You'll notice them the most in the rear. It gets rid of a lot of the nose diving.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Several questions; (yes, I've looked at Xtreme's website, their rotors do look good, and reasonably priced.)

Why would a 2 piece rotor be any better than a one piece unit?

Are the stock calipers good enough, or should they be replaced in the long run?

My principle focus is road racing, recently at VIR (Patriot course) and coming up at Summit Point.

Thanks!

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
The two piece rotor transmits less heat from the rotor into the hub and wheel bearings. The rotor is meant to absorb the heat from the friction of the brake pads pinching, and then dissipate it into the atmosphere.

After that track event, what did you learn about your car? I learned mine needs more brakes and stiffer springs. Decide what you need for yourself - its your car and your money.

A good place to start is simply braided brake hoses and a set of decent brake pads. Yeah they may eat rotors but its an easy swap on this car and cheap too.

Originally posted by EatonEggbeater
Several questions; (yes, I've looked at Xtreme's website, their rotors do look good, and reasonably priced.)

Why would a 2 piece rotor be any better than a one piece unit?

Are the stock calipers good enough, or should they be replaced in the long run?

My principle focus is road racing, recently at VIR (Patriot course) and coming up at Summit Point.

Thanks!

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra

Correction, I was able to squawk tires and activate ABS at 70 MPH Today with ease. :rockon:

I'm no expert but a best guess is that 70-0 braking has gone down by at least 15 feet, maybe more. Brake fade is nearly gone.

I would go with the slotted front/rear with a front cooling kit up front and see what happens. Eradispeed rotors also have a no warp warranty which is great for brake demons. :thumbsup:

I'll post pics once I can wash my car (gotta wait for the paint to cure...:bash:)

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member

After that track event, what did you learn about your car? I learned mine needs more brakes and stiffer springs. Decide what you need for yourself - its your car and your money.

A good place to start is simply braided brake hoses and a set of decent brake pads. Yeah they may eat rotors but its an easy swap on this car and cheap too. [/B]

I'm seeing the same thing, the stock system hasn't yet become the limit, but I'd like to improve the system as things go.

I've heard (on the track) that Hawk pads don't work well until they reach operating temperature, what pads are good for both street and track?

I'd like better brakes, I like the oversized rotor with stock calipers idea; better leverage, more swept area, that stuff...

Thanks for the response!

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I bought the Steeda kit (you guys will find I am a bit of a Steeda whore...don't ask) which has:
Powerslot 13" fronts w/ Steeda embossed calipers
Baer Eradispeed 13" rear disks w/ a caliper relocation kit
Stainless steel lines all around.
Hawk High Performance pads

This ought to put some nose prints on the windshield!!

Now all I need is my cobra to put them on:D (me waits for tomorrow evening!!!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread