Brake Upgrade ?'s

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
I'm thinking of upgrading the brakes when my tax return comes in and wanted some opinnions, help, experiences, etc...

I'd like to go with the Brembo Gran Turismo 6 piston front caliper on either a 13" or 14" rotor or the Baer 6 piston on 13" or 14" rotors.:D I'd also like to upgrade the rear but neither company make a rear kit.:shrug: What can be done about the rear? What do you guys suggest I do? Thanks for the help!:beer:

btw... I do have 18" 2000 cobra R's but thinking of changing to a different 18".

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
ok, first of all WHY do you want to upgrade to the 6-piston calipers?? Have you thought about just getting better brake pads and fresh/better brake fluid?? Do you do any open-track events that would justify the ~$2,000 for the upgrade?? If you wanted to upgrade your stopping, I would first consider better pads and better brake fluid. If that is not enough, I would consider the 2000R Brembos.

I know PLENTY of '03-04 Cobra guys making around 600rwhp who open-track their car and the 2000R Brembos are plenty. You would be QUITE surprised at how well our stock PBR calipers bite with the right pads and fluid....I know I was when I upgraded pads and fluid.

I could think of PLENTY to do with the $2000 other than calipers....tint, springs, gears....the list goes on and on.....

Last edited:

amorrow

Established Member
I've heard great things about Baer Extreme-Plus kits with the 1-piece Monoblock calipers. If you're looking at high-end kits in this territory, and don't mind running 14" rotors, I'd look into them. While I personally haven't run them, judging from the images and reviews I've heard, I see no better brake system for the price.

I've been checking discount prices on these brake systems on eBay, and it seems possible to get a pretty good deal. If nothing better is released by the time my '70 is ready for brakes, I think I'm going with a Baer 6S system (at least in front).

http://www.baer.com/products/complete/extreme.php

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
I've thought about the 2000 R brembo's and 4 piston calipers, but first I wanted to see what is out there and what experience everyone else has had. I'm a bit eccentric when it comes to the Cobra. So I don't mind going a little overboard on the stuff for it. I've already tried the better pads and rotors. I may even just change the pads until I get all the peices together for the front and rear. Then maybe I'll put the Cobra brakes system on my '93 and finish up the 5-lug conversion. I do live just a little ways from Virginia International Raceway and may do some runs if/when I get everything straightened out on the car.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Have you done stainless brake lines yet? That's going to be the best money you can spend on the brakes.

Venom351R

Established Member
whats your reason for upgarding your brakes? Are you doing track time or drag strip time or just looking for some better stopping power on the steet?

Last edited:

cobraracer46

Banned
ok, first of all WHY do you want to upgrade to the 6-piston calipers?? Have you thought about just getting better brake pads and fresh/better brake fluid?? Do you do any open-track events that would justify the ~$2,000 for the upgrade?? If you wanted to upgrade your stopping, I would first consider better pads and better brake fluid. If that is not enough, I would consider the 2000R Brembos.

I know PLENTY of '03-04 Cobra guys making around 600rwhp who open-track their car and the 2000R Brembos are plenty. You would be QUITE surprised at how well our stock PBR calipers bite with the right pads and fluid....I know I was when I upgraded pads and fluid.

I could think of PLENTY to do with the $2000 other than calipers....tint, springs, gears....the list goes on and on.....

I would think that one would want to have the largest brake set up possible when slowing down 3500 pounds worth of car from triple digit speeds.:poke:

In my opinion,There really is no such thing as having too much brake and as good as the stock Cobra PBR brakes are, they do have some faults like the Piston dust boots constantly melting.

The 2000 Cobra R front brake set up is a good brake set up for the price, but even that system has limits as shown by one hard running Terminator Cobra that over heated a set of 2000 R brakes at a open track event here in Northern California. Maybe some of those 600 HP Cobras at open track events are being driven by grandmothers?

I personally decided to go with a Brembo Grand Turismo 13'' kit that has substantially larger calipers and 2 piece rotors. The rotors on the Grand turismo kit are over an inch and a half thick and hit the stock tie rods, so you need a a aftermarket bump steer kit for clearance.

As for rear brakes, Brads custom auto in Washington has a 13'' rear brembo kit fo $3500

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Maybe some of those 600 HP Cobras at open track events are being driven by grandmothers?
At this point, I would say you my friend have NO idea what you are talking about. Here's a video of said '03 Cobra owner at a track event running the 2000R Brembos:
http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/videos/msr/DavidINcar_MSR-04-2006.wmv

I am sure they '00R Brembos have their limits....but a sufficient brake cooling system would help....if they had that.

One thing you have to consider as well is the Gran Turismo brakes require 18" rims, and 18" R-compound tires cost a pretty penny. Something that all open-track peeps should consider.

cobraracer46

Banned
One thing you have to consider as well is the Gran Turismo brakes require 18" rims, and 18" R-compound tires cost a pretty penny. Something that all open-track peeps should consider.

I purchased the 13.2'' version of the Grand Turismo kit, so I was able to keep the 17'' Fikse wheels I run on my car. For people who have the genuine Ford 17'' Cobra R wheels, the 14'' Brembo GT kit will clear.

cobraracer46

Banned
At this point, I would say you my friend have NO idea what you are talking about. Here's a video of said '03 Cobra owner at a track event running the 2000R Brembos:
http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/videos/msr/DavidINcar_MSR-04-2006.wmv

Thanks for posting the vid. As you can see in the vid, Houston is flat while here in northern California, tracks such as Infinion and Thunder hill have a ton of elevation change while one track like Laguna Seca has an extreme amount of elevation change so as a result the brakes can be highly stressed!

Over in the Cobra R forums, one 2000R driver replaced the original R brakes with the Brembo GT's and experienced LESS pad wear as a result so if you can afford it, put the largest brakes on the car that you can.

Last edited:

GR40Snake

Chief Financial Officer
Established Member
Did you look at the Griggs 4on4 kit? That's what I'd do if I wanted to drop yet another load.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I have the baer 4 pistons up front. They don't sell them anymore I believe because they were replaced with the 6 pistons. I also have the baer extreme kit for the rear it's still a floating caliper but it's better than stock. My car will yank the teeth out of your mouth if you wanted to. Absolutly no brake fade and looks bad-ass. There aren't any companies that mount a 4piston caliper on the rear except griggs, but you can just make a custom bracket I plan on doing this in the near future taking my 4's and putting on the back and buying the baer 6's for the front. I hate the floating caliper but that's just me. Here's a pic of the front of my car
100_1832.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1831.jpg
[/IMG]

100_1827.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread