Brake Up Grade

SBlueSVT03

[url=http://img473.images
Established Member
MidLifeC

Well I tried and got a fatal error message when I used search for Cobra brake upgrades. For brake upgrades I got 4 posts that aren't close. As you are so helpful how about a help direction for the challeged :shrug:

jimwood

Established Member
SBlueSVT03 said:
Well I tried and got a fatal error message when I used search for Cobra brake upgrades. For brake upgrades I got 4 posts that aren't close. As you are so helpful how about a help direction for the challeged :shrug:

Please use the search button to find out how to properly run a search. :-D

Actually as with most modifications, depends on what your doing with the car and what you perceive as the problem with your stock brakes.

Generally, try changing fluid to dot 4, stainless steal lines, different pads, I like the NAPA Gold or something or other that designates their top grade, then swapping out the calipers if you are still unhappy.

maliclipse

Enormous Member
Established Member
Poor guy...

Best bang for your buck is a brembo 4 piston upgrade - roughly 900$ anywhere online, pretty much do a google search for brembo cobra brakes (same ones used on the 2kR).

A step up would be a 6 piston setup from wilwood with a two pice rotor, looks neat but you're looking at 1300 minimum online. Above that you have lots of flavors of 4 piston setups from APracing, Baer, Brembo, StopTech etc, ranges going 1500-3000.

I'm going to go with the y2kR brembo setup - its cheap and everyone stocks it - I'm also going to have the rear calipers painted black to match.

Oh one other budget brake upgrade I forgot to mention is the Baer GT system. They use the same caliper you find on the C5/Z06 corvette and they clame it has 4x the clamping power of the 4 piston brembos (its a huge 2 piston caliper) looks great too and that can be found for 900 bux online but they're backordered til march.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Best bang for his bucks might be pads and fluid, not 4 pot brakes. Thats why I asked him to search first - sometimes it's broken and you have to try again later.

The most important questions: what is your intended purpose with the car and why do you think you need better brakes?

Hye

Established Member
I did a search on this, there are vast amounts of pages

but nontheless i'll fill you in on what i ordered today. I wanted a noticeable improvement without spending $1050 on a 00R Brembo Kit. I went ahead and ordered some Ferodo Pads (raceshopper.com) and some Russell Stainless Steel Braided Lines. Im told this will give me atleast a %20 improvement.

dont forget tires are another limiting factors, better brakes should be complemented with better tires.

My total out of pocket expense for a pint of oem motorcraft brake fluid, stainless lines, and pads was just under $275. I'll post reviews when everythings installed.

SBlueSVT03

[url=http://img473.images
Established Member
Thanks

Thanks for the help IN all areas :) maliclipse you gave me what I thought I would get in the first place. The purpose for my question was I like to stop when I play In Mexico and have a trip planned to a west coast beach I like. I took my ZR1 last time and having good brakes at speed over 150 came in handy. Thanks again for the help. :-D

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
I'll second Ferodo pads. I had wondered where to get a set...thanks for the pointer. Hands down the best street pad I've ever used.

Snake40

Established Member
Hye06 said:
I did a search on this, there are vast amounts of pages

but nontheless i'll fill you in on what i ordered today. I wanted a noticeable improvement without spending $1050 on a 00R Brembo Kit. I went ahead and ordered some Ferodo Pads (raceshopper.com) and some Russell Stainless Steel Braided Lines. Im told this will give me atleast a %20 improvement.

dont forget tires are another limiting factors, better brakes should be complemented with better tires.

My total out of pocket expense for a pint of oem motorcraft brake fluid, stainless lines, and pads was just under $275. I'll post reviews when everythings installed.
Please post results!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread