Brake Squeal

How often do your stock breaks squeak/squeal?

• Never that would drive me nuts!!!

Votes: 44 23.5%
  • Occasionally under normal breaking conditions

Votes: 53 28.3%
  • Occasionally under hard breaking conditions

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Sometimes they do sometimes they don't

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • You mean they aren't suppose to squeal?

Votes: 47 25.1%

• Total voters

SStupid

Established Member

If our rotors are the same as the 2001 Cobra, you can get some at www.raceconcepts.net

I had some on my '96 SS Camaro. They looked good and worked good. They are only dimple-drilled instead of cross-drilled, though, so they won't crack with street use.

MJ32V

Established Member
Had some brake squeal the first 4K miles. Is much less noticeable now (or maybe my hearing is going bad from the loud exhaust!).

MJ

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Originally posted by NukeX
Along the lines of this thread sorta heh, anyone just make crossdrilled/slotted rotors for cars or just gotta bite it and get new calipers too with the baer kits?

just find someone who did the work to the oem BREMBO rotors, most of em are lame ass kelsey hayes units with inferior materials and no expansion "groove" the brembo ones have between the hat and the actuall contact surface. Those "racy" rotors eat pads, dont last long, and usually make more noise. Complete baer or brembo conversions are a different matter. It isnt unusual for the oem's to squeak, i even had them put on my gt's and they both squeak, my brothers bullitt squeaks. Ive had other more track-modified miata/rx7 tt/240 z's with brake work done and the performance stuff was MUCH more noisy then these. Theres nothing wrong with them doing it. Ultra hi-performance stuff sometimes makes TONS of noise. Various reasons cause it, but i do get to see a lot of different pbr/brembo equipped mustangs at the dealer, and its not uncommon. I brought it up ad-nauseum with the techs back when i converted the first time. Its hard pressed to beat the setup svt has used for years without a full caliper swap. The rotors are top notch quality as is.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
there was a fantastic article about what the various performance pads do for the cobra brake system a couple months ago in mm&ff or 5.0. Sorry i dont remember, but it gives every pro/con you could ever ask for the the most likely upgrade choices you could/would try. Most likely the issue has migrated to your favorite bathroom in the house by now, no color pics, so you have to kinda dig for it;-)

03DOHC

Established Member
Stock brakes here. Mine have squeaked maybe 5 times for a fraction of a second in 17,000 miles.

vipergts281

Established Member
I currently have just under 12,000 miles on my car. My brakes started squealing around the 6,000 mark and still do. It seems like it is getting worse. I plan to let Ford know, but I also plan on them telling me they can't fix it.

It's embarrassing I think to have your brakes squeal. Very annoying to. And I can't believe Hawk brake pads squeak. Who the f**k wants to hear that on a constant basis?

eddy z

Established Member
mine has squeaked since day one.. from time to time they dont squeak.. over all, they squeak 80% of the time.. ford would not fix them as they felt these items fell under the non replacement cat., ie clutch..ect...

anyways, i had a mech explained it to me as i am not a brake expert by any strech. he felt and i say he felt not myself, "the pad are defective in a material way but not anything harmful. more or less, just annoying per the squeak.. "

Irregardless how times you air clean your brake system with compressed air, as i have. It has that sound of trapped brake dust, even though that is not the true case at hand. I like the idea of applying a brake lube agent. worth the test drive... Can only improve existing conditions.

Annihil8or

Got Fever?
Established Member
Originally posted by yermo
i got Brembo's and they squeak like crazy if you get on them and then take it easy. if you don't like squeaking stay away from Brembo.

I have Brembo's big 4 piston calipers in front and they almost never squeak, if they do it is only under the lightest of braking at low speed.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Mine will squeal on occassion. If press the brakes hard, the squeal goes away though. Seems like the brakes squeal less when they are hot as well. Doesn't bother me too much as it doesn't do it all the time.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Well, I guess the brake squeal I have on my car is common, so I will just live with it. I plan on swapping the 4 piston Brembo's on the front, so maybe that will reduce it then.

10thSVT

SVT Poster
Established Member
SStupid said:
Holy digging-up-old-posts, Batman!! :beer:

:lol: Since were on the subject..I just had mine done @ Ford they resurfaced all rotors and put new pads on and when they get hot they squeak non stop its driving me nuts :mj: $28k + and the dam brakes squeaks :cuss:

Jay G

Established Member
I have powerslot slotted and dimpled rotors front and rear and hawk pads less than a year old and they squeak like crazy, I hate pulling up to a red with an awesome car and my brakes are squeaking but after reading this post i quess i'm not alone.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
SStupid said:
Brake pad material doesn't make any difference in whether or not your brakes squeal. The part that is squealing is the areas where there is metal-to-metal contact, such as on the piston-to-pad-backing contact and the place where the "feet" of the brake pad bracket ride on the caliper. To keep your brakes from squeaking, you have to continually lube those areas with that specialized brake gunk. I do it everytime they start to squeal, and it goes away for a while.

Hawk brake pads suck for a daily driver. I wouldn't recommend them because they wear faster, and little molten pieces of metal coming from the rotor embed themselves in your wheels, effectively ruining them. The Hawk pads also wear your rotors more quickly. If you're not Autocrossing or Road Racing, then stick to normal pads. Also, Ford will not honor warrantied brake repair with the use of "high-performance" pads. Big surprise there.

Hawk makes many different types of brake pads. I don't think you can generalize their chacteristics. Hawk makes street pads and race pads.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
venom279 said:
Sorry dude, gotta disagree with you on this one. Brake pad material may not be the only reason for squeaky brakes, but it is the main reason, I don't think it's from where the piston sits behind and pushes the pad, because the pads don't move in the caliper, they are pretty much locked in place.

The squeak comes from the metallic flakes that are in the brake pad they then rub against the rotor causing the metal to metal contact that you are referring to, and depending on what type of pad you have brand, aggressiveness etc, the squeaking may vary.
A person just has to find the right combination of pads and rotors. Usually the oem brake pads will not squeak or at least squeak less than aftermarket pads.

As far as hawk pads sucking, everyone has their own opinion, but hawk offers more than just brake pads for road racing/autocrossing, they offer street pads as well, another good brand IMO would be EBC.

:beer:
You're right. Race pads typically squeak. I use Porterfield R4 race pads on my front brakes (StopTech) for my '04 Cobra. They squeak. Porterfield R4S street pads have never squeaked in the 8 years that I have been using them. If you want your car to stop on a dime, you have to put up with things like squeaking and dust.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
Annihil8or said:
I have Brembo's big 4 piston calipers in front and they almost never squeak, if they do it is only under the lightest of braking at low speed.

I have Brembos on the front brakes of my race car (330ci). They squeak all the time because I use Pagid race pads. I don't think Brembos squeak if street pads are used. The front StopTech brakes on my '04 Cobra didn't squeak until I put race pads in them.

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Not a sound in 4 years on drilled Brembo rotors and the high end stock Ford pad. I just got Raybesto's ceramics at all four corners and so far so good. Nice and quite.

Well, I went with Raybesto's Quite Stop ceramic pads and F'N hate them!!! Squeal at every brake application, sometimes worse then others. It usually goes away apon harder brake application. I use drilled Brembo disks and when I need pads again I'm going back to the premium Ford OEM pads I had on before. Stopped great and NEVER made a sound!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread