Brake Setup

usafimj

Established Member
Living in Germany I'm able to reach speeds on the autobahn that some would consider illegal in the states and lets not forget the Nurburgring. So I need something that can handle the stress of braking from high speeds quickly but safely. I know I'll need some good brake fluid and ss lines but what are some good pads/rotors.

Rotors
- Will any of the AM kits work? http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-brake-pads-rotor-kits-0509.html#shop-by3
- StopTech Rotors https://lmr.com/products/05-09-Mustang-Brake-Rotors#7283
- https://lmr.com/item/LRS-61089-KIT/brake-rotor-kit-drilled-slotted-0714-c-tek

Pads
- Ceramic or Carbon, Hawk HPS or Hawk Street/Race, EBC?

barspen

Established Member
That's a good question since you are probably mixing driving styles on a any given day...Cruising to quick runs to Nurburgring.

Lots of good brake fluids out there. With repetitive, aggressive braking, you will want a high-temp, DOT4 Racing fluid (Motul 600, Castrol SRF, etc) to protect from boiling. I'd change it once a year to be safe.

For rotors, any quality named brand will work fine as long as you are not trying to shave weight. I really like the looks of the StopTech and they are priced right.

Pads are an interesting one...with your application, you might need to weigh a more aggressive pad to handing high speed stop, but you will likely trade that for noise and dust. Ceramics are probably not a great fit as they can fade quick under high temps. Hawk HPS are more of a street pad (less dust and noise), so the Street/Race might be a better fit.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
You may want to consider moving up to the 13-14 6 piston Brembos in addition to beefing up the pads and rotors. The consistency of the speeds you hit probably make it a better option. Of course, this comes with increased cost but I think your car, locale and use needs the 6 pistons.

einehund

Established Member
Pads are an interesting one...with your application, you might need to weigh a more aggressive pad to handing high speed stop, but you will likely trade that for noise and dust. Ceramics are probably not a great fit as they can fade quick under high temps. Hawk HPS are more of a street pad (less dust and noise), so the Street/Race might be a better fit.

I am in Germany and have been doing Autobahn driving for some time. I would stay away from some of the ceramics as when they are asked too much, they let go and fade almost instantly, and when you see the hazard lights come on and hit a stau, finding out you have no brakes isn't fun. I am switching over the wife's Focus ST to EBC Yellowstuff, and based off their performance, I'll probably be putting them on the Shelby. If I had more coin, I would undoubtedly switch from the 4 piston to the 6 piston brembos, mainly due to the larger rotor size, which will dissipate heat better and provide more braking force.

Do NOT get any drilled rotors. I managed to crack 2 sets of the Baer Decela rotors last time I was in Germany with my old '02 Mustang GT that had the Cobra R Brembos. Drilled rotors CANNOT take the super high speed temperature changes that come from panic braking at 150 mph and then cooling off because you speed back up to 140ish (rinse and repeat, especially if on the A 5, A6, A66 or A8!)

usafimj

Established Member
I am in Germany and have been doing Autobahn driving for some time. I would stay away from some of the ceramics as when they are asked too much, they let go and fade almost instantly, and when you see the hazard lights come on and hit a stau, finding out you have no brakes isn't fun. I am switching over the wife's Focus ST to EBC Yellowstuff, and based off their performance, I'll probably be putting them on the Shelby. If I had more coin, I would undoubtedly switch from the 4 piston to the 6 piston brembos, mainly due to the larger rotor size, which will dissipate heat better and provide more braking force.

Do NOT get any drilled rotors. I managed to crack 2 sets of the Baer Decela rotors last time I was in Germany with my old '02 Mustang GT that had the Cobra R Brembos. Drilled rotors CANNOT take the super high speed temperature changes that come from panic braking at 150 mph and then cooling off because you speed back up to 140ish (rinse and repeat, especially if on the A 5, A6, A66 or A8!)

I'll look into EBC yellow. You aren't kidding about A5/6/8. Really like the StopTech rotors I linked.

usafimj

Established Member
With 13-14 GT500s only made for two years would pad options be limited in the future?

Also, are s550 brembos 4 or 6 pots? If they're 6 can they be used since they're more plentiful.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

einehund

Established Member
I don't believe the S550 6 pots calipers can be used on the s197's due to mounting location. That being said, I believe the pads are the same for the two calipers.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
With 13-14 GT500s only made for two years would pad options be limited in the future?

Also, are s550 brembos 4 or 6 pots? If they're 6 can they be used since they're more plentiful.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

There are many cars out there running the same size pad so pad options should be good for the foreseeable future. I swapped my 4 pot brembos for the 6, super easy install. Though now looking at the 6S from Shelby which are bigger. I am running porterfield pads and very happy with them, and cheaper or the same as the motorcraft pads.

Don't bother with the rears, I did not notice a difference going to the larger rotor other than looks.

I did the upgrade as I take the car to New Jersey Motorsports a few times a year and some of those flat 90 turns can be hairy in these cars. The 6pot upgrade was an improvement.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I'm running Motul RBF600 fliud, Porterfield R4S pads, and StopTech cryo treated, slotted rotors all around, and Revan Racings SS lines. Very happy with the upgrade over stock.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Hey usafimj,

Quick question, are you running on the stock suspension? If not, what are the mods? Thanks!

barspen

Established Member
Exotic rotors might last longer, but will be very expensive. They will save a few pounds, but that is typically only important when you are timing laps, racing or on drag strip runs. I doubt the performance or weight savings will be worth the investment.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The factory 15 inch rotor in the 6 piston kit is pretty robust. Id leave that alone and instead find an upgraded pad. The factory 6 piston pads work great but are EXTREMELY dusty, noisy and chew up rotors.

Lexus has a licensed version of the 6 piston on our LS F sport and RC F/GS F cars. I believe the IS F had them as well in the later production years. Literally there is no life left in the factory rotor due to the factory pads. Pads come in a Brembo box with a Lexus part sticker on them haha. We always quote a brake job on the big kits with pads and rotors.

While an upgraded pad may still wear a rotor, an important factor to consider is a pad that can handle high temp operation as Nurburgring and autobahn use will subject it to. Cooling ducts from the front of the bumper somewhere to the front of the rotors should be considered mandatory to keep your rotors form warping prematurely.

usafimj

Established Member
So my friend gave me a set of 13-14 GT500 15" rotors that he bought from a vehicle that was totaled. There is a very slight raise towards the inside where the hat is due to the pad not covering the entire rotor. Since my stock 08 GT500 pads have plenty of life in them will I be able to use these pads with the rotors then once they're due for a change upgrade to better pads/rotors.

Using the 15" rotors is already saving me $340 and if I can use my stock 08 pads that will save me an extra $250 or so. Theoretically, I would only need to purchase the 6 pot calipers/hardware, ss lines, and fluid.

What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread