Brake setup for 1/2 mile events

04torchred

Established Member
I was going to dig up an old thread from 2008, but decided its too old. Thread is here - https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...enough-so-i-installed-a-brembo-gt-kit.467268/

Anyways I am thinking about attending a few 1/2 mile events in the next year and wondering if the 00R kit is plenty of brake to survive coming down from 140-150mph without warping the rotors.

Seems like the only real downside to the 00R kit is the thinner (stock thickness rotors) they just can't withstand the heat like the thicker 32mm stuff does. I am unsure if a few high speed stops will put enough heat into the brake rotors to really go beyond what the standard thickness rotor can handle.

The Brembo GT setup is nice at 332x32, but it starts to seem like you end up paying well over $1500 just for some lighter 2 piece rotors.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
That and it severely affects front tire options. I want to go with a front skinner my right now and it looks like I will have to get a 18” front runner which options are limited with a 14” rotor for a real BBK.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
Will fade really be that much of a concern? You're not doing back to back stops. That's usually what kills brakes.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Piasared

Established Member
If all you are going for is 140-150 I “think” you should be fine. I’m running about 160 and planning for more so I went with the wilwood lite 6 pistons14 inch rotors. I have lots of brake left and it makes slowing down a lot faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

04torchred

Established Member
If all you are going for is 140-150 I “think” you should be fine. I’m running about 160 and planning for more so I went with the wilwood lite 6 pistons14 inch rotors. I have lots of brake left and it makes slowing down a lot faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I truly have no idea how fast a mph my setup will run. It has yet to be on the dyno, but its a 3.4L whipple with a 9.3:1 compression big bore, etc. Pump gas should be 650-700rwhp I would think, C16 or E85 I don't know anyones guess(maybe 800rwhp)

I will probably just grab some better pads and stainless lines possibly and see how it does.

I will do some more research into the BBK's from Stoptech and see what I can find. So far on here I have found not the best reviews on them(main complaints seem to be leaks from the caliper)

Piasared

Established Member
5b29fca8011db152247a9500c57e1276.jpg

I use the wilwood racing pads and have no problems slowing down. Complete crappy runway today and I had plenty of time to stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread