Brake rotor install help

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
I have a brake rotors/pads to do on all 4 wheels this evening, and there isn't a Haynes or Chiltons for my car anywhere in town. Anything special to be done? I've done brakes before on other cars, just never Mustangs. I've websearched all morning for online instructions with no results.

ps: Powerstop slotted rotors and hawk plus pads

bouncer18

Established Member
fronts are basic... nothing special other then you might want a caliper piston tool to get both pistons to compress at the same time....

forthe rear,you need a tool which letsyou push on the piston while turning it like a screw...

good luck..its easy!

kaos

Established Member
Yes, it's very easy. I have a basic write up here for the fronts. http://www.omslaw.net/tech/frontbrakes.htm The fronts are so easy, you can do a pad swap in minutes.

You just need a special tool for the rears when putting in the pads. They have the tool at autozone and you can rent it out.

The only problem I had was with the rear rotors. After the pads are off, there are two more bolts to remove before taking the rotor off. They were a bitch and I got lazy and tired and opted not to swap out the rear rotors. I'm not very good at working on cars and if the one tool I have doesn't work, I give up. Also I'm really lazy so I use whatever oppurtunity I can to give up.

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
I've got a pretty large C clamp, that I used when changing brake pads on my vette.

Does the Cobra require any special tools when pulling the rotors?

kaos

Established Member
Mine didn't. I just used one of those soft mallets and I banged the backside of the rotor all the way around. I also used some folded up shirts inbetween the rotor and the hammer. I banged slowly until I figured I could use a little more force without damage.

Users who are viewing this thread