Brake reservoir overflow

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Ive noticed that when i go to clean my engine bay there seems to be a small ammount of brake fluid that looks to have overflowed from the reservoir and is caked onto the side of the container. I can see the drips coming from the cap, but the fluid level looks fine. I clean it up, but sure enough its there next time too. Does anyone else seem to be having this problem? Does anyone know what could be causing it? I dont road race or drag race and i can only think of one instance ive had to get on the brakes hard. If you look at the post about centrifugal blowers and look at the pic of the motor bay you can see what im talking about.

Cobra-R

Established Member
The oil still expands when it heats up. Lower the level and it will help alot (not eliminate it 100% though)

When I put my cars on the track, I wrap a towl or rag around the resivour to catch the fluid so it doesn't ruin the paint on the engine. ;)

Brian

maoun

Established Member
good call brian...not a bad idea

but mine's never raised enough and mine's pretty full......even after road racing for hours...hm...

m.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
good call brian...not a bad idea

but mine's never raised enough and mine's pretty full......even after road racing for hours...hm...

m.

weird, every Cobra I have had has had the same problem......maybe Ford accidently gave you a good resiviour cap? ;):beer:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
weird, every Cobra I have had has had the same problem......

Same here. They seem to be overfilled from the factory, or the caps are just cheap.

stevieb

Established Member
I have the same problem. Its not overfilled because there is a max line for the fluid, and its not over the line. I was going to bring up this issue when I bring the car in for my first dealer service. The only thing I can think is by hammering the throttle the fluid is sloshing around from the G-force and leaking out the cap which is also the breather for the m/c reservoir.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
Ditto on mine...I have to wipe around the reservoir every weekend when I wipe down the engine compartment.
Gee, I hope wiping this area isn't cause to void my warranty. :thumbsup:

maoun

Established Member
i just checked again and mine's clean (the only clean thing in the engine bay)...

maybe i just got way lucky :) score!

Users who are viewing this thread