Brake Pedal Vibration

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
The car is on jack stands. I start the car and I hear a rubbing. I have disconnected the clutch cable and put the car in neutral.

When I press the brake pedal I hear a loud rubbing noise and get severe vibration through the pedal. The only thing I could think is that maybe the ABS is going off because the car is on jack stands? I do have a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel in place - but I figure if the clutch is disconnected it should not matter....

Any ideas for me?

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
There could be air in the lines.. Does it do it when the car is on all 4 wheels?

Sounds like your ABS is pulsing... Is the ABS light on the dash lit at all during this time?

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
I have not taken it off of the stands yet. No ABS light. The harder I press the brake peddle, the louder and stronger the vibration is. I think I may take it off of jackstands and test and then disconnect the ABS fuse and test.

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
If you have a brake pedal vibration, you more than likely warped your brake rotors. When severe enough, it can shake your whole car.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
If you warped your rotors, you wouldnt feel it unless the car was moving... This sounds like an abs problem because the car is up on jack stands

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
ok - I took the car off of the jack stands and disabled ABS. While the card is NOT MOVING - Still have a heavy rubbing feeling and sound on the brake pedal - it increases as the engine speed increases as well. The harder you press on the brake pedal, the more of a rubbing feeling you get - like you are pressing against something that is moving. I am really at a loss - any ideas?

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
ok - figured this out. Maybe this will help someone so I am posting my findings. The car has hydroboost brakes. Didn't know exactly what that means until now. There is a plunger that is hydraulically activated by pressurrized power steering fluid. It is inside that big black contraption on the drivers side firewall that the master cylinder is hanging off of. I had not bled my power steering since draining it while I rebuilt the engine. I had just topped off the power steering reservoir.

Turns out all i had to do was turn the wheels from side to side a few times. This circulates the fluid and fills up the hydrobooster! Stop the car, wait for the bubbles in the power steering reservoir to go down and top it off. I did that a few times until the hydroboost was filled up with fluid.

After it was fully bled, I now have no vibration! Crazy how this stuff comes together.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
Thats a good info, hadn't thought of that. Glad you found out before tearing everything apart.

Users who are viewing this thread