Brake Pads

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
I am going out for my 3rd HPDE at Texas World Speedway in September and I was wondering what brake pads you guys would recommend for my 2001 Cobra. I was looking around the forum and it seems like the Hawk DTC 70's would be too aggressive and was thinking that a new set of street pads would suffice. However I will more than likely trust the opinion of you guys over my own!

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have been using EBCs new Blue compound for most of this year. It is not the best for racing, but for HPDE is a great choice. They are cheap, at around $135. For comparison the Hawk DTC 60s that I am using now, for the same brake calipers, cost me just over $200. The EBC Blues are easy on rotors, last a long time, and work well at cold temps so you don't have to swap pads back and forth. They do not have the friction coefficient to stop as well as a Hawk DTC60 but they have never faded for me. I simply had to extend my braking zones.

I had used the EBC Yellows for my entire HPDE 2 duration, and probably my first couple HPDE 3 events. The Blues are better and should be a good pad for a couple years before you have to move to something else.

If you don't want to use EBC, Hawk HP+ should do the job.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Yep. I'd suggest Hawk HP+ or EBC Blue. I assume these pads will be used on the street as well.
I remember TWS has a long braking zone, so make sure whatever you use has a lot of material to start the weekend with.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'm on my first couple events also......just got a set of Hawk HP+. Can't wait to try them out.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
For your Cobra, Carbotech XP10s up front and XP8s out back.

I ran that combination for many years on my 99 Cobra.

-Kevin

dragon40k

Established Member
I didn't really like the HP+ i thought they wore out too fast in my heavy over powered car (stock calipers with cooling ducts). I didn't like the EBC blues either, but I'm stuck with them for 1 or 2 more events (whenever that is).
I'd go with the carbotechs which i've never tried or step up to Hawk dtc 60's and make the change of pads at the track.
Brake pad opinions are just that though. Everyone has what they like and what has worked for them and you will find what works for you.

David Hester

Established Member
HPS+ are what I have on my Roush. Nice compromise for street and track. DTC 60 or 70 don't work real well till they get hot. Can be downright dangerous on the street, especially when it is cool. They grip like rocks on the rotors with about the same results- no stopping and will gnaw up your rotors.

All pads are a compromise. If you want to use just on track, then the DTC's are great. As was mentioned, you would have to change out at the track. If you want track and street the HPS+ are hard to beat. Just be realistic on what you will be spending most of your time doing with the car.

indianrides

HAWK HPS pads are considered as best brakes but if you wish to try some other brand than you can go for EGB Red stuff,they are cool and are good on tracks.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Since this is only your 3rd event I would go with Hawk HP+ or the EBC Blues. You are probably not going to cook them so it should be all good. Once you start to pick up the speed you will probably switch to the DTCs or the higher level Carbotechs.

Are you using slicks?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I called Carbotech last week and spoke with them about my race car. I gave alot of detail from HP level, tracks I race at, length of the races, what tires are on the car, weight of the car and so on.

The best thing to do is call the prospective brake pad companies. Tell them your setup and let them tailor a set of brake pads to your needs and your skill level. I dont mean custom compounds but no one knows their brake pads better than the company.

I now have a set of CT592 RP2 enduro pads waiting to go on my race car. For those familiar with CT brake pads, think between a XP10-XP12 but with much better wear, and still the same rotor friendly compound too.

I've been running mystery pads in the Brembos and am excited to try out this new compound from Carbotech.

BTW Carbotech gives a 7% SCCA racer/member discount.

Carbotech Performance Brakes

:beer:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
OP: what did you end up getting?

Installed the HP+......getting some noise at lower speeds such as slowing at a light. Is this expected? I thought I read that some people get squealing and some don't.

I executed the bed-in procedures as stated by Hawk.

I'm not overly concerned as I only plan to run these during the summer then switch out to HPS' for the remainder of the year. Just wondering if I did something wrong.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
When I have my track pads in, they sound like a NY subway coming into a station.
As long as it's a high pitched squeal and not a grinding type noise don't worry. :thumbsup:

David Hester

Established Member
Normal. Gets back to what they were designed for. Light braking on the street, they will not get hot enough to really work, hence the squeal. You will also notice your rotors will wear faster with the HP+. That's why I only use them in the summer on the street car.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
When I have my track pads in, they sound like a NY subway coming into a station.
As long as it's a high pitched squeal and not a grinding type noise don't worry. :thumbsup:

Normal. Gets back to what they were designed for. Light braking on the street, they will not get hot enough to really work, hence the squeal. You will also notice your rotors will wear faster with the HP+. That's why I only use them in the summer on the street car.

:thumbsup: thanks guys

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
I'm going with the HP+. About to order a pair in the next week. I completely fried my last set of pads. Not sure what they were but the Texas heat was not kind to them.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
Bump - Another question that is similar to this:

I'm running HP+'s on front, but what to run on the rear? Bruce recommended a standard street pad but I dont want to go too cheap or too grippy and compromise the brake balance.

Suggestions?

Also, anyone else get short pad life out of the HP+'s? I got 2 track days and some daily driving and they are almost ready for replacing (not trustworthy enough for a third track day)

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'm running HP+ up front with HPS in the rear. I'm still a O/T novice but this combo seems to work well for me

Users who are viewing this thread