Brake Pads That Don't Squeak

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Hey all,

Have had a squeak up front for quite a while that I initially thought was the LH wheel bearing going out but I changed it and still squeaking. Apply brakes the squeak goes away. I'm assuming it's the brake pads.

What's everyone's favorite pad to run? The ones on there now are nowhere near wearing out but dust like crazy and that squeak. They've been on there a long time and if I remember right they're Hawk's of some sort but can't remember the model, and they were something everyone on here was buying from Tirerack on a closeout for a nice price.

I'd rather pay more and no noise and less dust .

Performance of the brakes is of concern too. I just don't want squeaking and want them to work good.

Thanks.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Grease the brake pads - that should take care of the squeak. More than likely what it's doing is similar to rubbing your finger along the edge of a glass of wine. Putting some brake grease on the back of the pads will more than likely kill the vibrations that are causing the squeak.

FWIW though - I only use my car for street. So I have been happy with the AutoZone Gold pads (and the free lifetime replacements that go along with them).

NastyNate420

Established Member
Like he said if your pads are good jus clean them up and grease em.
I went with some Wagner premium ceramics up front and they work quite well!

Huff-n-puff

Established Member
I just put a set of the Advance Wearever Platinum's on mine because of the dusty factory Ford brake pads. I use them on all of my customers' cars as well. Only downfall I've seen on my customers' cars has been a higher percentage of warped rotors over when we used the Wagner Thermoquiets. I don't track my car or brake hard unless necessary and the pads I've mentioned above work fine. The Thermoquiet pads we used to use squeaked too much.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Ive noticed noised caused by the cheap ring that holds pad..

the oem pbr pads have a clip that doent spin or wiggle.

MG0h3

Established Member
sure thats not just the brake pad wear indicator (squealer) making noise? Typically that is the cause when the squeak goes away when applying brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread