Brake pads! Need help finding good ones

sct12

Established Member
I just spent about 550 on new brakes, I got stainless steel lines, Baer decela rotors and hawk hps street pads. After a long brake in time I am sure that my car stops way worse than stock.Its horrible, I have to really press the brake pedal to get it to stop now and even then it feels like it wants to go through an intersection. I will pull these hawk pads off for something that someone can assure me will stop better than stock. Any ideas?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
The Hawk HPS pads are known for being quite nice. The first stop is likely worse than stock; but they should get better and better as they get warmer.

The OE replacement Motorcraft pads arent' bad for general driving.

Performance Friction std. replacements are fair; stop like stock but have a softer feel. The Z-rated versions you probably wouldn't like. They're hard and suck on the first stop; they don't get right until about the 5th consecutive stop...they need some heat to be happy.

Brembo and Satisfied also get in the mix... www.tirerack.com and start shopping.

sct12

Established Member
Even with heat they still dont feel as good as stock. I have heard good things from performance friction. I dont think its the mechanic that is the problem here. Do they get better with time I have had them on for about 2 weeks now and put about 200mls on the car with 8 passes down the track, and really stopping hard at the end just to try to bed them in.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Sounds like your mechanic didnt bleed the brakes properly. Ask him if he bled the master cylinder. If he didnt, do so, rebleed all the brakes again and I can guarantee your car will stop MUCH better

sct12

Established Member
The pedal travel is nill. I bleed the brakes alot of times starting with the master cylinder.

sct12

Established Member
I will try it again as everything is worth a shot, but in the mean time anyone have any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread