Brake pads and wheel options

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
Anyone here tried G-loc brake pads? Considering them just need something that bites and won’t fade with road racing, our snakes are pretty heavy to what I’m use to. Also getting the two piece rotors for the front.

Been looking on the forums for a good offset on wheels on these s197’s id like to keep 19 up front and 20 in the rears. I just want to increase the width of the tires and some lightweight wheels I can use when I attend track days. Any recommendations?

I have been going through the forums searching for wheel setups and brake pad options.

Silver Talon

Pronounced: Mahcargo Braaaap
Established Member
For a 11 inch rear, about 50mm will be spot on, and leave you a little breathing room on the inside. Around 40 for a 9.5 rim in the front, which is probably all you need. I run a 19x10 on my lowered v6, and with a 285 tire, it slightly rubs the inner liner on rare occasions, and that's a 48mm offset. 40 leaves you a little more breathing room, and will flush you up to the fender pretty well.

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
For a 11 inch rear, about 50mm will be spot on, and leave you a little breathing room on the inside. Around 40 for a 9.5 rim in the front, which is probably all you need. I run a 19x10 on my lowered v6, and with a 285 tire, it slightly rubs the inner liner on rare occasions, and that's a 48mm offset. 40 leaves you a little more breathing room, and will flush you up to the fender pretty well.

Dead on appreciate the Info. Just purchased some lowering springs (ford performance) due to have same spring rate. Definitely need the wider tire up front as it gets tail happy very fast. Wish I could do a square set up but definitely needs meaty tires in the rear. Stock power and it still gets the pilot sports spinning.

Silver Talon

Established Member
This is my car on eibach pro-kit springs. 20x9.5 fronts with 40mm offset, and 20x11 rears with 50mm offset. No rubbing anywhere and gives me a little room in the back for breathing room.

Running a 325 in the rear, and there is honestly a enough to go to a 335 if i wanted.
98dc9b9beec4a39dec1c66f567f0ce95.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
This is my car on eibach pro-kit springs. 20x9.5 fronts with 40mm offset, and 20x11 rears with 50mm offset. No rubbing anywhere and gives me a little room in the back for breathing room.

Running a 325 in the rear, and there is honestly a enough to go to a 335 if i wanted.View attachment 1634563

What wheels are on the shelby on this pic? They look great and still aggressive!

Silver Talon

Established Member
Those are the Carrol Shelby CS-3's in gunmetal gray. It was finally a spoke design I could get into, and they are no where near the nightmare to clean as the factory wheels.

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
Very true about the stock wheels though they look great pita to clean. Going to look into those wheels I appreciate all the insight can’t believe there’s not a lot of options of wheels that look great for these car as it is for m3’s and other cars!

Silver Talon

Established Member
Very true about the stock wheels though they look great pita to clean. Going to look into those wheels I appreciate all the insight can’t believe there’s not a lot of options of wheels that look great for these car as it is for m3’s and other cars!
Yeah, I never thought I was picky on wheels, but it took me a long time to find ones I liked enough to spend money on. The only others I like is certain versions of the super snake Alcoa wheels. But I didn't want to spend that much cheddar on wheels.

This is my old screaming V6 I just sold. Thats lowered on eibach sport lines, and those 19x10s all around. 305/30s in the back, and 275/35 in the front.
4a91ed1054358b4e2c7b8028e4b24e46.jpg
39d5159d8c6166870321b67fc01b5539.jpg

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
That looks good I was looking at forgedline GA1R open lug but that’s a good chunk of cheddar. I like that style might have to add some front camber to tuck the wheel in enough to be useful for the track as well not trying to put useless camber lol

Cman01

hello
Established Member
OE poster, u mentioned lightweight wheels in your original post cause you want to use them for track days.

I can tell you Forgeline wheels and Shelby CS3's don't belong in the same sentence. 1 is a fully forged lightweight wheel the other one is not. They are also vastly different in price.

Alcoa's are fully forged also but they are heavy wheels compared to Forgeline wheels.

I had a set of Forgeline GA1R's on my 13 Shelby...……….worth every penny and I sold them to a SVTP member here when I sold my car to buy my ZR1 (it also has Forgeline wheels on it).

You know that saying...……...Price, Weight, Strength...………...pick two.

Tony

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
OE poster, u mentioned lightweight wheels in your original post cause you want to use them for track days.

I can tell you Forgeline wheels and Shelby CS3's don't belong in the same sentence. 1 is a fully forged lightweight wheel the other one is not. They are also vastly different in price.

Alcoa's are fully forged also but they are heavy wheels compared to Forgeline wheels.

I had a set of Forgeline GA1R's on my 13 Shelby...……….worth every penny and I sold them to a SVTP member here when I sold my car to buy my ZR1 (it also has Forgeline wheels on it).

You know that saying...……...Price, Weight, Strength...………...pick two.

Tony

Well that’s why I’m asking around and looking at wheels. Appreciate you chiming in, would you happen to have pictures of the forgedline’s you had on the GT500’s also the offset you used?

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
wow they look great I was looking at the open lug ones. Just don’t want the wheels to poke out to much.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If you are open tracking your car don't go 11" rear. Whether you have a watts or panhard bar you are going to get lateral movement and the tires will also distort cornering at high speed. An 11" is going to rub. I wouldn't go over 10.5" in the rear, probably just a 10". Honestly, I would use your OEM rims with good tires for tracking and get some street wheels to swap between.

Tom

Cman01

hello
Established Member
wow they look great I was looking at the open lug ones. Just don’t want the wheels to poke out to much.

They didn't poke out, they are bang on offset wise for the width of the wheels. Now, having said that I did tell the vendor when I ordered the wheels I was at stock ride height at that time with the possibility that I might lower in the future (which I never did) so they spec'd the wheels for that. The new owner of the wheels has a lowered Shelby and it fits his car fine.

I also ran MM caster/camber plates up front and run -1.25' camber on the street so the 10" wide front wheel is slightly tucked in at the top at rest and cambers more in during suspension travel so no worries there running a 10" wide front wheel with a +41 offset.

I use this site to play around with wheel/tires sizes, widths/offsets so you have a visual of any changes you do compared to the factory stock setup:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Regarding brake pads, I personally use carbotech which as I understand very similar to G-loc. The thing is there is no magic pad for the street and the track. Especially for our cars because of their weight, unless you autocross rather than HPDE.
Your best option is to get dedicated pads, I use the XP10 (R10 equivalent) but recently stepped up to the XP12 (R12 equivalent).

LuiiSVT13

Established Member
They didn't poke out, they are bang on offset wise for the width of the wheels. Now, having said that I did tell the vendor when I ordered the wheels I was at stock ride height at that time with the possibility that I might lower in the future (which I never did) so they spec'd the wheels for that. The new owner of the wheels has a lowered Shelby and it fits his car fine.

I also ran MM caster/camber plates up front and run -1.25' camber on the street so the 10" wide front wheel is slightly tucked in at the top at rest and cambers more in during suspension travel so no worries there running a 10" wide front wheel with a +41 offset.

I use this site to play around with wheel/tires sizes, widths/offsets so you have a visual of any changes you do compared to the factory stock setup:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

sweet appreciate that info!! Yes i saw they make the offset you want so that amazing they can do that and probably one of the many reasons why it cost some $$

Regarding brake pads, I personally use carbotech which as I understand very similar to G-loc. The thing is there is no magic pad for the street and the track. Especially for our cars because of their weight, unless you autocross rather than HPDE.
Your best option is to get dedicated pads, I use the XP10 (R10 equivalent) but recently stepped up to the XP12 (R12 equivalent).

nice how do you like the XP12(r12 equivalent) pads? The shelby is not my primary car so as far as brake pads, I am just going for something more durable and aggressive. I’ve already got brake fade from the stock/ Stoptech pads and fluids so making that upgrade. I was thinking about the r12’s and getting the r18’s for track days.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
I run GLOC GS1 for DD duties and their R12 for track days. I also run the LMR SVE GT7 wheels for my track days. They are a flow formed wheel and are in the 21-22lbs range. I’m running 19x10 with 285/35 up front and 19x11 with 325/30/19 out back. These wheels fit my needs as I’m driving my car about 7/10ths, maybe 8/10ths on occasion.

The R12 pads are absolutely amazing. When they get heated up, boy they can peel your eyelids back. They take a lot of abuse. I run GiroDisc 2 piece rotors up front, too.
BF150CD4-3C7D-46A2-A069-8E12253A2180.jpeg

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
nice how do you like the XP12(r12 equivalent) pads? The shelby is not my primary car so as far as brake pads, I am just going for something more durable and aggressive. I’ve already got brake fade from the stock/ Stoptech pads and fluids so making that upgrade. I was thinking about the r12’s and getting the r18’s for track days.

Haven't tried them yet unfortunately. From what I understand, the 12 is close to the 10 only higher temp range which is why I upgraded. I was getting brake fade with the 10s if I'm not careful.
The problem with these kind of pads is that they don't work when cold and are very noisy. I use them on the street on my way to the track and can barely stand the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread