Brake Pads and Rotors for Road Course

ponyboy96

Established Member
I've done some searches but came up kind of short. I've got another track day coming up and know that my stock rotors and pads are getting a little long in the tooth. I'm looking for advice on which pads and rotors to go with for street duty with occasional track days. I would like to upgrade the rears with something bigger also. Any advice? I've read that the cross drilled rotors are a no go on track days due to cracking. After looking at a couple sites I'm just not sure what to go with.

FWIW, I'll be running road atlanta in December.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Your rotors should be fine but unless you upgrade your fluid to a race fluid (Motul, Castrol, etc.), you are playing a dangerous game, IMO. I've seen several GT500 on the track with stock rotors/pads but with high boiling fluid and maybe some cooling mods do just fine. I would change front pads to a better track pad and leave the front rotors alone for now. A lot of guys run the Hawks. I run Carbotech. The slotted rotors are a a definite upgrade but not necessary initially (imo).

ponyboy96

Established Member
I should have added that yes I change my fluid out each track day. I ran Super blue last time. No boiling or brake fade issues.

Van@RevanRacing

Pads, rotors, fluid, stainless steel lines.

Pads depends on how aggressive you brake. Novice you might be find with HP Plus
Rotors I would recommend dba, FTBR or OEM
Fluid, Brembo LCF 600
Brake lines, goodridge or you can even use my new 2013+ GT500 brake line kit

Rear rotors. It is what it is. Not worth upgrading. Raced my 2007 with OEM brakes and the aforementioned upgrades without issue.

Van

cluscher

Established Member
The Hawk HT-10 on the front works real well at the track and is still very street friendly for a non-dd.

barspen

Established Member
Running stock rotors with Duralast Gold Cmax pads and Motul 600 Brake fluid. Works great for a DD and occasional track days. I thought about SS lines, but heard you need to swap them every year since the lines can get damaged and it's difficult to inspect.

ponyboy96

Established Member
I'm just starting out running the NASA SE track days. currently in HPDE1, but was recommended that I move up next (will be this) track day. I'm not hard on parts currently, but as I work on my lines and getting faster I'm sure brake upgrades would be in order. Right now my stock pads and rotors are probably due to be replaced. I'm fine with OEM as they have performed fine thus far, but I know there is better. As of now I am planning on running 2 or 3 track weekends per year.

ponyboy96

Established Member
Pads, rotors, fluid, stainless steel lines.

Pads depends on how aggressive you brake. Novice you might be find with HP Plus
Rotors I would recommend dba, FTBR or OEM
Fluid, Brembo LCF 600
Brake lines, goodridge or you can even use my new 2013+ GT500 brake line kit

Rear rotors. It is what it is. Not worth upgrading. Raced my 2007 with OEM brakes and the aforementioned upgrades without issue.

Van

Thanks Van. Would you recommend the two piece rotors? Also on the Hawk pads would you recommend ceramics at all? What I'm going for is better and stronger than stock and able to take the abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread