Brake pad retainer clip..is it needed???

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Just changed the front rotors and pads on my non-svt Focus. I have a 2005 ZX4 SES with the 2.0 Duratec. Problem is I can't get the front pad retainer clips back on!!! What is the purpose of these clips and do we actually need to put them back on??? We tried and tried but can't get it to snap back into place!!! Does Ford use a special tool to install these clips??? The tension is very high and we used a flathead to pry it off easily but it doesn't go back on!!!

A friend of mine thinks the clips are used only at the factory to make the caliper install easier but are not actually needed on the street???

I was forced to drive it home(80 miles)without those clips and the brakes seemed fine and made no funny noises etc. I also took a look and they seem to be braking in evenly.

Do we need these retainer clips??? What is the purpose??? Does anybody have any experience with changing the 2005+ front brake set ups??? Pictures or links would be great!!!

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Primaris

Established Member
I think so. I lost one once and I noticed with out the spring the caliper can rotate up out of place. Brakes are something you never take chances with.

The spring on the front calipers is a pain in the ass. I put a rag over the caliper and spring in case it tries to fly off. I then hook one side in and use pliers under the rag to stretch the spring into place.

The rear pistons need to be screwed in. You can get the tool pretty much anywhere. I got mine at sears.

Be sure to grease the front slide pins. Also, make sure you can completely remove the rear pins. Inspect these closely as they can rust. Grease liberally.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Primaris said:
I think so. I lost one once and I noticed with out the spring the caliper can rotate up out of place. Brakes are something you never take chances with.

The spring on the front calipers is a pain in the ass. I put a rag over the caliper and spring in case it tries to fly off. I then hook one side in and use pliers under the rag to stretch the spring into place.

The rear pistons need to be screwed in. You can get the tool pretty much anywhere. I got mine at sears.

Be sure to grease the front slide pins. Also, make sure you can completely remove the rear pins. Inspect these closely as they can rust. Grease liberally.

Thanks for the info but isn't the clips on your SVTF's front brakes different from the clips on my 2005 ZX4??? I'm not sure myself??? From all the pictures I've seen the earlier Focus(2004 and under) models have a clip that attaches to the middle of the pad and clamps down on the caliper when twisted. I think the retainer clip on these models are actually part of the pads???

My set up has two holes in the caliper that the retainer clip ends slide into and then the loops are suppose to attach/hook to each end of the pads. It's suppose to all hold together with the clip pressing tightly against the caliper??? Without a special tool or something...I can't figure out how to do this???

Primaris...do you have some close up pictures of your particular set up??? Someone told me the SVTF models have the same set up as the 2005+ models...10.9" rotors and same calipers. Is this true???

Thanks...

Later...Dave

Primaris

Established Member
The SVTF and +05 front calipers are the same I think. When did the US ST come out? Your rotors are a touch smaller, the SVTF are 300mm/11.8in.

Image stolen from "thenorm" on FJ:
TDwheels004.jpg

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Yes, from what I've researched...the pads and calipers are the same but the rotors are slightly smaller.(10.9" compared to 11.8")

I was able to find some pics at Focus Fanatic that showed the correct placement of the clip...with the pics it only took about 5 mins on each side to install the retainer clips!!!

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121610&highlight=brake+pictures

My Buddy who popped off the clips in the first place thought they attached to the pads but according to the pictures they install so that the pad is sandwiched between the two parts of the caliper...the clips just use tension to keep the pad from moving or rotating within the caliper!!

Primaris...thanks for all your help and pointing me in the right direction!!!

Later...Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread