Brake Pad options - recommendations

XP900

Established Member
Review of Power Stop Z23 pads (same material as Z26 but uses different shims)

I installed on all fours with new Raybestos Element3 rotors (which are actually slightly heavier than the stock rotors).

After sufficient break in and miles on the pads I think they have LESS stopping power than the factory stock Motorcraft pads that came with the Brembo 6 pistons in the Ford Big Brake kit. The Z23 also do not completely cover the front rotors like the stock pads did.

There appears to be two pad styles associated with the Brembo 6 piston fronts from all the pictures I have seen and the pads I have received. The pads that cover the 15 inch front rotors almost completely are the ones that have a somewhat rectangular cutout of the pad at the bottom center of the pads (These are also the ones that do NOT say For Performance Pack on some of the pad descriptions. Not sure exactly what they are referring to with the Performance Pack description for brake pads unless they are referring to the Brembo GT 6 piston performance upgrade calipers that would also work on the 7-12 GT500s and 7-14 GT models, but I don't know why they wouldn't use the same pads since the calipers appear to be almost identical except for the center brace part of the caliper) The pads that have a full rounded bottom or a slight V cutout at the center bottom are the ones THAT LEAVE about a 1/4" or more of used rotor coverage at the bottom part of the rotors! I would avoid this style of pad if possible since it will create a bottom ridge over time and wastes rotor braking surface area.

Since I had my old rotors turned ($144! for all 4) I may put them back on with either the stock Motorcraft pads and deal with the dust or a set of Carbotech front pads and Raybestos H3 hybrids on the rears. No more Power Stop pads for me on a GT500 although they may be more than adequate on other lighter vehicles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread