brake noise

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
hey guys

Question so the car has 229 miles on it and the breaks are making noise. I washed the car after i had just driven and didnt even think of waiting to let everything cool down. It does it only at a slow roll and with a light touch of the pedal. No vibration at all. Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks

SlowVert

Established Member
From what I've read it's normal.... I noticed it at about 500 miles on my car.... I washed the wheels this weekend and took some time to hose the pad/caliper area just a little... seems to have stopped it for the time being.

In the SVT manual it makes note that this is normal.

J.

Burlybear

Established Member
I have 1800 miles on my 14 and it has done the same thing from day 1, only at light braking slower speeds. Heard it is normal so I haven't tough twice about it.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I have light brake noise on my '14 and it's exactly what I have had on several of my vipers and porsches, seems the performance brakes can make a bit of a squeel, etc and is normal.

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
nice, at least its normal. I wont worry about it then.

Off topic, this thing is a beast. I cant wait until i reach 1000 miles so i can really punch it. Havent passed 4k rpms yets.

raustin0017

Established Member
I got 1200 miles on my 14. Brake squeak for me is solved with a few hard brake cycles. After a few heat cycles...seems to fix it for quite a while.

NOTE: Caution about keeping the RPMs below 4,000. Don't be shy...drive her like your going to drive it. The built in protection will keep you out of trouble. Enjoy!!

nice, at least its normal. I wont worry about it then.

Off topic, this thing is a beast. I cant wait until i reach 1000 miles so i can really punch it. Havent passed 4k rpms yets.

carguy19

Established Member
Drive in reverse as quickly and safely as you can. Slam on the brakes. Repeat 1-2 times.

I did this after taking off wheels and cleaning with brakleen. (after cleaning they still made noise.) after the reverse braking it went away completely.

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
the reverse solution sounds interesting and fun. maybe i'll try that.

Regarding the break in process, isnt it or better yet wouldnt the proper thing to do is wait the 1000 miles?

Does it make a difference at all waiting as opposed to driving it that hard with such little miles?

mullens

Established Member
Mine has had low speed rear brake squeal from the get go. After 8k miles I just ignore it. One of the minor annoyances of high performance pads.

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Sometimes a squeal can be normal. Think of it like this. Sometimes in the manufacture of the pad material you can get a spot that is a bit more dense than the surrounding material. The analogy is a piece of wood with a Knot in it. The denser material may resonate and cause a squeal until the pad wears beyond the dense material.

The Snake

billsigf1_zps0d79b1a4.jpg

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member

Regarding the break in process, isnt it or better yet wouldnt the proper thing to do is wait the 1000 miles?

Does it make a difference at all waiting as opposed to driving it that hard with such little miles?

Fluctuations with the Rpm's/gears is key when breaking in the clutch. I was doing several 3-4-5-6k shifts during the first 1k miles. I just didn't do any hole shots and my clutch is fabulous....

raustin0017

Established Member
Troublemaker has good advice. Break it in but you don't have to be gentle. With 1,200 miles on mine have only touched redline once so far. Countless pulls over 5,500-6,000 range.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
As stated, it's normal and did it on mine from day one. What's even more fun than the suggested reverse technique is to do what I did: Go enjoy a day at the local autocross. The loss of the brake squeak was merely a bonus after a day running laps. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread