Brake Light flickering????

MarlboroMan

Established Member
My e-brake light flickers on the instrument cluster when the brake is down. Is this a brake adjustment problem or a wiring issue? Sometimes it will go away for a few seconds, but when youre driving if you hit even the slightest bump it will flicker or go on solid.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
..and your brake pads are probably pretty low as well.

When the pads are pretty low, the fluid level goes down a few notches, thus filling up the reservoir is good, BUT it also lets you know that your pads are low and might need to be replaced.

I recommend the motorcraft ones for daily use.

Part #'s:

Fronts: BR12B
Rears: BR72B

If you want to get Hawks:

Fronts: HB111F.610
Rears: HB183F.585

MarlboroMan

Established Member
..and your brake pads are probably pretty low as well.

When the pads are pretty low, the fluid level goes down a few notches, thus filling up the reservoir is good, BUT it also lets you know that your pads are low and might need to be replaced.

I recommend the motorcraft ones for daily use.

Part #'s:

Fronts: BR12B
Rears: BR72B

If you want to get Hawks:

Fronts: HB111F.610
Rears: HB183F.585

Pads are fairly new and fluid is ok. I know im the one asking the question, but im not completely mechanically retarded either. I have never heard of a Emergency Brake Light coming on regarding anything with the brake pads. Correct me if I am wrong (with proof from a professional), but that light is solely there to advise you that your E-Brake is on. Like I said the light is FLICKERING. My inexperienced mechanical instinct tells me its either a wire issue or the brake needs adjusted. Reason for flickering if its an adjustment problem would be because when I put the brake down, it may be all the way down, but just a click up will set the brake light off thinking its still engaged.

I only asked hoping someone else had this problem and knew the exact fix so I wouldnt have to spend all day finding it myself. I feel pretty strong that it has nothing to do with low pads/fluids. Not trying to be cocky.

But thanks anyways.....

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The brake light comes on for the E-brake and also it is a low fluid level warning.

Flickering can happen for a wire/switch issue but it can also flicker if the fluid is right at the level of the low level sensor in the master cylinder.

When you hit the brakes it drops a little but the rocking/motion of the car may allow it to hit and then not hit the level switch.

And no I wasn't trying to be cocky either.

9804SNAKES

Established Member
The brake light comes on for the E-brake and also it is a low fluid level warning.

Flickering can happen for a wire/switch issue but it can also flicker if the fluid is right at the level of the low level sensor in the master cylinder.

When you hit the brakes it drops a little but the rocking/motion of the car may allow it to hit and then not hit the level switch.

And no I wasn't trying to be cocky either.

Old thread but informational none the less as the flickering has started with my '98. Low and behold Stampede, the two reasons you cited are exact and are found in the owner's manual. I checked my fluid level and it is wayyyyyy down. Have had some problems with my crazy ex and will be checking to see if my lines were cut. Is way too low to be the pads.

bornatiger

Established Member
Same thing started last week for me. I checked fluids, they were good. Pulled my center console and the switch had fallen off the e-brake assembly and was sitting in a way that when I hit bumps it would trigger causing the light to come on. Easy fix

9804SNAKES

Established Member
Low brake fluid.

Let me ask you I know you guys are saying low brake fluid. That being the case, I added a bit a few weeks ago, barely needed any and I have never had a problem in the past. Is it possible for fluid to be pushed out the top if I didnt put the cover on all the way? Very weird that I would be low on fluid all of a sudden. Pads are pretty new.

Users who are viewing this thread