Brake Light and low Brake Fluid - IDEAS??

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
I started getting the in dash Brake light coming on a few days back. I did a search of this board and found similar issues. It was either the E-brake switch or low fluid, those are the only way for it to come on.

I really didn't think there was a snowballs chance in hell it could be fluid. I have only had the car since LATE August, only 2.5k miles on it now.

But a check of the reservoir shows it very low, an inch below max, which would definetly make the sensor show low fluid.

1st question - Can I add fluid to fill it back up w/o draining all of it?
2nd question - If I can add to it, which brake fluid to add?
3rd question - I found no signs of leakage at the fill location, why is it that low? Where should I look?
4th question - Causes for this if no leak is found?

BTW, I can't swear to it, but i am 99% sure I remeber checking the level at least twice before, when it was brand new, at 4 miles and at my first oil change, and it was at the MAX line.

Just a little worried....

SVT_SNK

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
1st question - Can I add fluid to fill it back up w/o draining all of it?

Yes, as long as the same type of fluid is used.

2nd question - If I can add to it, which brake fluid to add?

Check both the cap on the resevoir and/or the owners manual for the fluid specs. If I had to guess, I would guess DOT 3 fluid. Any major brand will be fine. Buy a new can. Old stuff has a tendency to collect moisture and that's bad.

3rd question - I found no signs of leakage at the fill location, why is it that low? Where should I look?

You obviously have a leak somewhere. Start at the front and work your way back, following the lines. There are many places for the fluid to leak. Check around the wheels first. Also check on the inside of the car above the brake pedal and below the master cylinder on the firewall too.

4th question - Causes for this if no leak is found?
If you still feel the cap was secure and can't find a leak, someone is messing with you and stole your brake fluid.

Seriously, refill it and monitor it closely. This stuff just doesn't evaporate, it went somewhere. There were a few complaintts of poor fitting/sealing caps, but you said that was not the case here. I also think I heard one complaint of a hairline crack in the resevoir too.
Since this system relies on hydraulic pressure for the boost, it has to be an external leak. It's not going into the motor.

BTW, careful with the fluid, it's like acid on the paint.

Hope this helps,
Dana

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I agree.. Fill... Monitor......... if you are still losing fluid somewhere.. go directly to Ford.....

You may want to swing by your service advisor now.... and tell him what the deal is... and that you are going to fill and monitor.

stang03svtcobra

well i had the same problem in july... no leaks just was hard on the breaks i topped it off no problems since... i figured ford didnt put the correct abount in... my light only came on when i was trying to stop real quik ... like nascar style breaking lol

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Low fluid can also be from worn pads, with pistons pushed closer to rotor, drawing more fluid. This obviously should not happen in 2500 miles if everything is normal, but could happen if you have a sticking caliper, wearing down the pads. So check the pad thickness,too (inside and outside sides).

Daytona

Established Member
Just got my cobra back from dealer for warranty work. Pinhole in brake resevoir causing small leak. Probably not your problem but you should check, the leak has around the middle of the resevoir where there is a small plastic lip.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
Low fluid can also be from worn pads, with pistons pushed closer to rotor, drawing more fluid. This obviously should not happen in 2500 miles if everything is normal, but could happen if you have a sticking caliper, wearing down the pads. So check the pad thickness,too (inside and outside sides).

:thumbsup:

SC457A

Established Member
so far everyone hit it perfect.

look carefully for leaks, i have seen the brake line on the rear end leak in a way it goes straight to the ground, nothing shows around it, have to look right at the line crimps.

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
I would get the brake fluid from the Ford parts dept. Get the EXACT type spec'd for the Cobra and keep the receipt as proof that that is what you used. Could prevent any warranty hastles if you need to take it in later.
BTW: Although specs say they are compatable...I don't recommend mixing different brands of brake fluids. ...just like not mixing different brands of motor oil at the same change. Chemical A + Chemical B could = hybred properties. When I have changed brands...I flushed the system. :beer:

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
went to Dealer as suggested

I have listened to all the advice here...Thanks.

I went by the dealership to pick up a new chin spoiler and while I was there I had my advisor note the low fluid level. I ask if they would just refill it and I would monitor it, he said cool. Upon return he said the mechanic looks at the pads and they looked fine, no heavy wear. This was before the post here about premature pad wear, so you guys are on the money. I will monitor and if it continues to leak, I will see who is stealing my fluid... :) I will let you all know...

Thanks

SVT_SNK

Users who are viewing this thread