brake job

Dino S.

Established Member
I noticed my pads in the front are dangerously low, so i'm going to change them. Here's the questions:

What good pads can I buy locally (ie no mail order). I've heard Hawk HP... anything else? Anyone have any experience?

Is anything extra-ordinary required when getting the rotors turned? Will I need to replace any bearings?

Also, I want to paint the part of the rotor that doesn't contact the pad so it won't rust and be ugly. Anyone done this? Pics, tips, all is appreciated.

Anything special required in bleeding the brakes? Is it straightforward like the foxes or are there other variables?

TIA
Dino

Wildpony

Established Member
I painted my rotor in that area with Duplicolor's 1200F ceramic black paint. I also painted my calipers. I just took a real light coat of vaseline and put on the letters COBRA. then I sprayed both areas. Let it dry maybe 5-10 mins then take your finger nail & scatch off the paint on the lettering. It pulls up like rubber.

Oh yeah the brakes/calipers are easy to get out but the 2 bolts on the backside of the caliper cast iron cradle are a "MF" to get loosened.

I really like my Raybestos ceramic front pads. Avail. at PEP BOYS for around $100 or so..

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
DINO Here's what little I have to offer from my brake job about a year ago:

http://users2.ev1.net/~w8368/brakejob.htm

brake13.jpg

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread