Brake Help Needed

pwildbil

Established Member
Not the cobra...my truck with 100,000 miles

Anyone have a easy way to get off front rotors that are rusted on... I can't get them off for the life of me....any suggestions would be helpful...I am already at my wits end!!!

Thanks

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
1. Mucho penetrant on the bolts.
2. BF hammer or prybar (heat also)
3. Easyouts to drill out the bolts after they snap off.

Good luck.

T.Bone

Established Member
I am sure you already did, but I am going to ask. Did you break off the retainer clips that hold the rotors on?

If so then a big hammer and plenty of penetrating lube!

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Grab the biggest hammer you can find and then......
Pretend the rotors are your wife or boss and let the hammer fly.

JP

pwildbil

Established Member
T-Bone said:
I am sure you already did, but I am going to ask. Did you break off the retainer clips that hold the rotors on?

No....Where are the retainer clips you are talking about...I took off the calipers,pads, and the caliper mounting bracket...Don't see any clips????

Just so you know this is a 1997 f-150 4wd

CobraSVT657

Established Member
T-Bone said:

If so then a big hammer and plenty of penetrating lube!

I would assume at 100,000 miles this isnt the first brake job on the truck.. so its pretty safe to say that the clips have already been removed.

T.Bone

Established Member
CobraSVT657 said:
I would assume at 100,000 miles this isnt the first brake job on the truck.. so its pretty safe to say that the clips have already been removed.

You just never know, with out knowing the history of the car it is a valid question. Some people put this kind of milage on a car in two years, with all highway driving it is possible that the rotors may have never been off the car for a turning or replacing.

The clips I am talking about are on the wheel studs, they are pushed on from the factory to keep the rotors from falling off while going down the line. Most of the time there are only 2 or 3 on each rotor. Check each wheel stud and see if you see a small metal circle looking piece, if so break it off with pliers or screw driver.

Users who are viewing this thread