Brake fluid change - how much fluid in oz should I expect per wheel

cheeser

Established Member
Getting ready to change out the brake fluid in the car and since the fluid is clear, it is difficult to tell when the fresh fluid has worked its way down to the brakes. I would like to know how many oz I should expect per wheel as I will have a bottle connected to the wheel as I bleed them.

Will probably try the Motive power bleeder for this vehicle instead of the vacuum pump. I tried using the vacuum pump on a 4runner over the weekend and no matter what I did (Teflon around threads), still seemed to pull in air from the bleeder valve and couldn't tell when the air was out...had to resort to the old two-person pump the brakes method.

blownby

Established Member
no idea exactly, but one can 16.9oz or 500ml maybe just enuf if you are very efficient.
I went thru about 2 (1000ml or 32oz) bleeding and entire system, with brembos old fashioned way. But i wanted it clean!

I'd get 2 to have one hand if your ordering, if you get one you will probably need 2 oz more! haha.

Not exaclty the same, but may help.

soSincerious

Established Member
It's easy to do this yourself. Some vacuum tubing and a water bottle. Attach the hose, open the bleeder, pump the pedal 15-20 times. Top off reservoir and repeat for each wheel.

I just did mine. One year of ownership and just under 10k miles and I could easily tell a difference between the new and old fluid.

Using a 17 ounce bottle, each wheel should fill it about halfway. So roughly 34 ounces at a minimum.

Last edited:

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
It's easy to do this yourself. Some vacuum tubing and a water bottle. Attach the hose, open the bleeder, pump the pedal 15-20 times. Top off reservoir and repeat for each wheel.

I just did mine. One year of ownership and just under 10k miles and I could easily tell a difference between the new and old fluid.

Using a 17 ounce bottle, each wheel should fill it about halfway. So roughly 34 ounces at a minimum.

Via this method, what's stopping the fluid you're pumping out from being sucked back up when you release the pedal?

soSincerious

Established Member
Gravity. Just go slow, you'll be okay.

If you're paranoid, get a feel for how solid your pedal is before you start. Pump the pedal until vacuum assist goes away. Should be a little bit of travel until it gets nice and firm.

I've been doing this method on customer cars for years, as our brake flush machine can end up leaving a spongey pedal. As long as the master isn't too old you should be okay with this method. As cars get older you run the risk of damaging the master. I've done this on many older cars (10-12 years old) without customers returning with issues

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
I use 2 bottles during a flush and I have a power bleeder, but before I flush the system I gravity bleed the system and then use the power bleeder to make sure I have clean fluid throughout the system. the only downfall to the race fluids is the fact they love to absorb moisture faster than DOT 3 but that is a small trade off for performance imo.

cheeser

Established Member
I was planning on 32oz as a min....hate to be under there doing the job and running out by a few ozs.

I noticed when doing the 4runner over the weekend where only the first 3-4 oz was dirty, then it became clear. I assume that is because that was the section that was in contact with the factory seals/hoses....otherwise it was in the metal lines so how would it become dirty.

So I am back to my question of how to make sure all of the old fluid is out as color may not be a true indicator. I was tempted to use the ATE blue fluid for the first flush just as a visual indicator.

Users who are viewing this thread