Brake fluid change for track day

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
For those of you guys who have already changed your brake fluid and flushed your system, how much fluid did you use? I plan on hitting an open track event in early November and wanted to swap out the fluids before I go. Typically it doesn't require much, I think I've always just used a single bottle but I havn't done anything on the Shelby yet. Experiences?

SINISTRR

Established Member
I'm interested in the answer as well. Seems like everyone I ask has the same answer and that is "ummmm...I'm not sure." And these are people at Ford dealerships.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I used a whole quart of Super blue fluid when I did my car. Wanted to do it the way it was described in the SM but certain tools I didn't have so I did it the "old fashioned way". I started with bleeding the clutch section.

First, suck out as much of the old fluid as you can with a large syringe or turkey baster, don't need to get all of it out just most of it. You don't want to introduce air in the system at the master so be careful. Also, don't touch the brake or clutch pedal.

Pour in your brake fluid of choice that you are switching to till it is up to the full mark or slightly under and replace the cap. Get in the car and press the clutch pedal tons of times (like 30-40 times), make sure you get right down to the floor and all the way up on each pedal travel.

Go back to the master and suck out the fluid again till it is low, add brake fluid again replace the cap and repeat. Do this about 3 times or so and most of the fluid in the clutch section will be pretty well the new stuff.

Now top up the master again and you can go to each caliper and start bleeding them. Start with the RR and bleed till you can see new fluid coming out. Stop and check the level in the master add fluid if needed. Once that side is done move to the LR, then RF and LF.

With the blue fluid you can see the colour of the fluid start to change from the stock yellow fluid to the blue when you get a nice steady blue colour coming out then you know fresh fluid is in the lines for that side of the car.

Like I said by the time I was done I used a whole quart of fluid and what was bled out was also about a quart so I know most of it was out of the car. You really can't get everything out but ALA most of it is fresh fluid you will be good on the track. I have a nice solid pedal and clutch pedal is still like stock. Hope this helps you.

Tony

_Satch_

Established Member
I just changed mine 2 weeks ago. I vacuumed as much out of the resevoir as I could possibley get out, then filled it to the mark and started bleeding the lines. I used 3 of the Motul 600 half liter bottles. 1 bottle for the front right caliper. 1 bottle for the front left caliper and 1 bottle for the back brakes.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Good info guys, I hadn't heard anyone mention the clutch portion of this process before though.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I changed my calipers out with a powdercoated set and bled them multiple times and they still feel spongy/soft.

You most likely got some air into your system. How long was the system open when you changed the calipers? It doesn't take very long for a bubble of air to travel from the open line and into your ABS system. If you have air in the ABS system you're going to have to cycle the ABS system to get the air out. :read:

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I probably have air in the ABS system. It was open long enough to remove a caliper and reinstall another. I have been waiting for a rainy day so I Can slam the breaks and let the ABS system pump and do it's job.

Ky GT500

Established Member
I did the Revan Racing SS brake/clutch line swap the same time I did the LT's. Used 4 of the bottles that was sent with the lines, bled old school way. Drained the reservoir by undoing the clutch line and let it drain, doing the brake lines, we moved pretty quick on those so not to loose enough fluid in the ABS system that would allow air into it. The brakes are firmer with the new lines, didn't get a lot of miles on them before I parked for the winter. Will re-bleed lines after more miles, still have 2 more bottles to top off with. Nice upgrade over the stock ones.

BITDIFFERENTSVT

Established Member
I did the Revan Racing SS brake/clutch line swap the same time I did the LT's. Used 4 of the bottles that was sent with the lines, bled old school way. Drained the reservoir by undoing the clutch line and let it drain, doing the brake lines, we moved pretty quick on those so not to loose enough fluid in the ABS system that would allow air into it. The brakes are firmer with the new lines, didn't get a lot of miles on them before I parked for the winter. Will re-bleed lines after more miles, still have 2 more bottles to top off with. Nice upgrade over the stock ones.

Just got done doing the same mods yesterday. (but had Mark's Ford mechanic do it).
On the drive home the pedal was definitely spongy

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Just got done doing the same mods yesterday. (but had Mark's Ford mechanic do it).

My brakes were softer after the fluid swap too. I drove about 10 miles on the freeway from garage to my house after we swapped the fluid. The next time I got into the car the brakes were back to the way they felt before the swap (firm and solid). I then took the car to the track and raced on a road course for 4 sessions (about 10 laps each). Brakes worked great the whole day. At the end of the track day I drove the car 4hrs home on the same fluid, didn't touch the car at all, just loaded my gear up and left. Brakes were a little soft again like the day we did the swap. Got home from the track fine. Jumped in the car the next day and brakes were once again solid and firm. When I say they were "soft", I mean they just didn't grab with as light a touch as they had before. They still swapped fine. In fact, I still have the same fluid from the track day in my car because the brakes feel so rock solid.

Ky GT500

Established Member

Could still have air in the system, we bled mine multiple times before calling it good. I'm still going to put some more road time on mine and will re-bleed them. I've not noticed mine being spongy at all, but will still do the re-bleed in the spring. Still have plenty of fluid to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread