Brake fluid cap

S197kid

Established Member
I was inspecting under the hood after some aggressive driving and I noticed some brake fluid on the sides of my brake fluid reservoir... I looked down at the paint underneath the reservoir and one spot was lifting. Anyone else have this problem? I don't think the driving I was doing boiled the fluid as it was just some country road fun. Could have it been overfull from the factory? I may try taking a bit of fluid out and add a jdm brake reservoir sock to prevent seeping lol

Grant808

Established Member
Switch to DOT4. My level looked correct from the factory. They just didn't spend for the best fluid, but tell you to put DOT4 for track use.

svt1111

Established Member
I've had 3 S197's. 2007, 2011, and 2012. They ALL had this issue!

S197kid

Established Member
I've had 3 S197's. 2007, 2011, and 2012. They ALL had this issue!

Yea Ive had an 06, 09, and this 2012 boss and I remember cleaning the reservoirs vaguely but then again I didn't drive those cars like I drive the boss. What did you do about it? Did you just watch and clean periodicly? Did you remove any fluid?

cloud9

Established Member
I've had it on both my Boss and '07 GT500, especially at the track. Just run the fluid level between the seam in the reservoir and the max fill line and you'll be fine. The fluid expands and the cap doesn't fully seal. If you run at this level you're essentially at the midway point between max and min and I haven't had the issue. Been running it this way since last April and about 20 track days with no more leakage.

lsp408

Established Member
I had same thing with my 2011 gt. dealer replaced reservoir and cap and still leak fluid. I ended up remove some fluid and no more leak.

Users who are viewing this thread