Brake fade over 140 mph

nonliberal

Established Member
Hey guys I am have a bit of a problem that could be a big problem if not corrected. The car is a 2013 GT with the standard brakes.
If I so much as touch the brakes at speeds over 140+ mph I get some fade and vibration through the car and in the pedal. If I stay on them much longer while slowing down the pedal will get a spongy feeling. This car never sees stop and go or city traffic. I live in the middle of nowhere its either on the highway for at least 20 minutes in one direction or its on the 1/4 mile track. It will see these 140+ mph speeds on the strip.

What do guys recommend as a fix for this? I thought about maybe the Strange brakes for added weight savings, or maybe it will just require a better brake pad? I don't really want to go crazy and spend a boatload of money here and I don't really want to add any weight. What do you guys think?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
You expect the stock brakes and calipers to not fade under moderate to heavy breaking at 140+ MPH? :lol1:

Get a good BBK (big brake kit) some stainless lines, and new fluid and you should be okay.

nonliberal

Established Member
You expect the stock brakes and calipers to not fade under moderate to heavy breaking at 140+ MPH? :lol1:

Get a good BBK (big brake kit) some stainless lines, and new fluid and you should be okay.

LOL no I don't expect it, thats why I'm looking for the best upgrade path. :thumbsup:

nonliberal

Established Member
Yeah it's kind of a catch 22. This car is primarily a weekend drag car that sees a little street use as well. So being able to fit my 15" wheels on the back is kind of a requirement.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Yeah it's kind of a catch 22. This car is primarily a weekend drag car that sees a little street use as well. So being able to fit my 15" wheels on the back is kind of a requirement.

They make drag brake kits that are equivalent to the stockers or better, that still allow 15" wheels in the rear.

Jbstang87

Established Member
just fyi. I have the stock brakes upgraded with hps pads, ss lines, and motormedic dot 4 fluid. At a hpde event last weekend at around 20 mins per session, my brakes held up pretty well. Only during one session on the final lap did I get some fade, however it wasnt a really braking intensive course. Next up is brake cooling ducts. As I progress through HPDE I will consider the 4 piston brembos

Users who are viewing this thread