Brake duct test results

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I thought I'd share a bit of testing I did when burnishing my new brake rotors this weekend.

I recently installed some Kenny Brown brake duct plates (and hose) on the front rotors, so I was interested to see how well they cooled the rotors.

After the burnishing heat-up procedure, I briefly jumped out of the car and took a quick temperature reading of the front rotors. They were about 550 degrees on each side and cooling fast, so they probably got close to 700 degrees during the heat-up procedure.

I drove for about a mile at 40 mph to cool them down, then parked and took another reading. They went down to about 120 degrees, which is the temp they'd be under normal driving conditions. In contrast, the rear rotors, which only do about 30% of the work, but have no cooling ducts were still about 250 degrees.

A good brake cooling system is obviously very beneficial.

Oh, and after the burnishing procedure, I could really feel the difference in how the brakes grabbed. It was a huge difference.

Also, the rotors are now perfectly smooth and you can't see the texture of the metal like before. I'm now ready for the track!

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I spoke with Steeda last week and they are currently doing R&D on a brake duct cooling kit for Mustangs. He said should be available in about 45 days. Be sure you don't set your parking brake after heating up the rotors. It can warp them.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Hersheyman said:
I spoke with Steeda last week and they are currently doing R&D on a brake duct cooling kit for Mustangs. He said should be available in about 45 days. Be sure you don't set your parking brake after heating up the rotors. It can warp them.
Yup! Stop for a a minute with the car in gear no brake then push or pull up a tiny bit to reduce the concentrated pad heat off the rotor, this is anal but saves us poor guys money.

SGL

Banned
Hersheyman said:

Hopefully Steeda will have more reasonable prices than what I've seen out there. $150 for a set of dust shields with a hole and a pipe sticking through it is not my idea of reasonable i.e.:

backing_plate4in.gif

I've decided to make my own. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
serpentnoir said:
Hopefully Steeda will have more reasonable prices than what I've seen out there. $150 for a set of dust shields with a hole and a pipe sticking through it is not my idea of reasonable i.e.:

backing_plate4in.gif

I've decided to make my own. ;-)
Is that picture of the ones you made?

TTA89

Established Member
serpentnoir said:
Hopefully Steeda will have more reasonable prices than what I've seen out there.

Yeah right... Steeda copies others and adds twice to the price. They don't make anything, they just slap there name on it.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Depending on the pads you're bedding, some manufacturers (Hawk) require you to block off the cooling ducts to get the pads hot enough to bed properly (transfering pad material into the rotor surface) to the rotors. Once that is done, those pads/rotors should remain matched for the remainder of the pad life.

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Depending on the pads you're bedding, some manufacturers (Hawk) require you to block off the cooling ducts to get the pads hot enough to bed properly (transfering pad material into the rotor surface) to the rotors. Once that is done, those pads/rotors should remain matched for the remainder of the pad life.

YMMV

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:
Did not know that, thanks for the info. Is that suggested on Hawk's website?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hersheyman said:
Did not know that, thanks for the info. Is that suggested on Hawk's website?

There is a little yellow instruction sheet that should be included in the box with the Hawk pads? Everyone I've ever received had them?

I suppose their web site should also state the procedure? :shrug:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I'm making low cost backing plates now, theyre about the same as the ones above but they dont have the lower portion just the top two bolts are enough to secure them.

Im asking $50 a set if anyones interested send me a pm. This is just a build em as I get orders kind of deal but if I get enough interest Ill have some on hand for quick delivery.

Anthony

Midcontinent Mustangs
(785)658-5921

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
I'm making low cost backing plates now, theyre about the same as the ones above but they dont have the lower portion just the top two bolts are enough to secure them.

Im asking $50 a set if anyones interested send me a pm. This is just a build em as I get orders kind of deal but if I get enough interest Ill have some on hand for quick delivery.

Anthony

Midcontinent Mustangs
(785)658-5921

I am having Midcontinent Mustangs build me a custom twin-hole bracking plates now that will go with my saleen. Once I get two tubes running to each rotor, I should have rockhard cooling. I'll post before and after pics for you all.
Dave
:thumbsup:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:

Anthony

Midcontinent Mustangs
(785)658-5921

Any pictures? Do they fit 94-95 spindles or just 96-04?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Mark,
I can build them to fit either, I'll have to look on my '87 and see which spindles I went with back in '01 when I did the 5 lug swap. I can't remember anymore if they were 95 or 96 spindles. I'm thinking I used 95 spindles, if so I'll be able to use them to test fit the first set and have 94-95 sets available much sooner.

Here's the pics that I have so far, I had the camera adjustment off so the installed pics are blurry. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kjenkins67443/album?.dir=/6799re2

Users who are viewing this thread