Brake cooling for 2011 w/ 13' front bumper/grille?

wenger828

Established Member
any recommendations on what kits to get for brake cooling for an 11' gt500 with 13' grille? i've been tracking my car lately and find the brakes get real hot and fade. i measured the temp of my rotors after a session at poconos and they were about 700 degrees! i can't seem to find anyone that makes them for the 11' gt500's and search on here doesn't yield anything.

barspen

Established Member
Great mod choice if you are hitting the track. I have the Ford Racing kit on my 2011. Had to Dremel out the honeycomb in the front grill to exposed the air inlet. I used some aluminum bezels to cover the rough cuts on the grill, small screen material to keep the rocks out and some RTV to hold everything in place. You do have to pull the hose tight and away from the wheel the best you can to avoid hose damage. I also had to cut from plastic pieces in the wheel well when routing the hose.

I'm not sure how you would modify the '13 grill. I cant recall if the air inlet was on the grill itself or right behind it...Pulling the bumper would let you know for sure.

Snoopy49

Established Member
You might be able to use the openings in the grill that were for the engine and diff coolers. On a non-track pack lower grill, the cooler ducts are not cut out, so you would need to open them up.

Someone on the forum did a heck of a how to on adding brake ducts and hoses to a 2013-14. Unfortunately the search function on this site is still missing in action. I thought I had it in my favorites, but I guess not. Maybe someone can supply a link to the thread.

wenger828

Established Member
Great mod choice if you are hitting the track. I have the Ford Racing kit on my 2011. Had to Dremel out the honeycomb in the front grill to exposed the air inlet. I used some aluminum bezels to cover the rough cuts on the grill, small screen material to keep the rocks out and some RTV to hold everything in place. You do have to pull the hose tight and away from the wheel the best you can to avoid hose damage. I also had to cut from plastic pieces in the wheel well when routing the hose.

I'm not sure how you would modify the '13 grill. I cant recall if the air inlet was on the grill itself or right behind it...Pulling the bumper would let you know for sure.

It appears no one has the ford racing kit anymore! I see JLT makes a kit for the 13'+ mustang but it says specifically it won't fit the 10-12.. why's that? (http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/i...nfo&cPath=524_525_533_357_434&products_id=567)

Users who are viewing this thread