Brake caliper re-paint

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
I'm looking to re-paint my calipers (Yes I already did a search) and I was wondering if anyone has done a write-up on this or would be willing to post or PM me some pointers? I've never re-painted calipers before and I really want to be sure to do it correctly. Previous owner scratched them in a place or two and it's driving me nuts.

SpectorV

Established Member
the key is preparation. The calipers need to be cleaned to remove any oil and dirt then they need to be gone over and scuffed up a little bit (but not so much that the scuffs can not be covered by the paint you are using)

After this you need to tape up the area very good using good tape to prevent over spray.

After this you clean the area to paint with something to remove any finger prints or dirt, like rubbing alcohol.

finally you do VERY light coats after shaking the spray paint up. It must be high temp paint as well. Do a very very light coat and let it fully dry before you do another very very light coat. Do about 3-4 very light coats then you can start to put it on a little ticker. This is to prevent runs in the paint. Hold the can as recommended from the paint surface and never start spraying over the surface, always spray off to the side and drag the can across the item you are painting.

The main thing here is taking your time and not overdoing it with the application of paint.

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
I plan on taking them off the car to do it of course, the one question I do still have is though, do you guys just leave the old pads in and compress the pistons to prevent them from getting painted? What's the best method to do there?

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Personally, I'd recommend leaving them on the car. That's what I did when I painted mine. I just cleaned them with brake cleaner and a fine wire brush, masked off the areas I didn't want to paint, and then brushed on the paint. The last step was gently sanding the raised COBRA letters with 1000 grit sand paper. Piece of cake...:beer:

supercarkiller

griggsg40svt
Established Member
i just painted mine with cheap kit from napa
DSC_0006-1.jpg

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
I think I'm going to swap to SS brake lines while they're off so taking them off wouldn't be that bad. Thanks for the input guys, as soon as my new tires get here I'm probably going to undertake this.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
as anyone used the g2 kit...been havin' a hard time finding it locally...

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
Did a google search for G2 Brake, it was the #1 result and took me right to it. Can order it off their website, even get special Mustang edition paint to perfectly match your body color. I think I'm gonna get their regular brake kit in red.

Last edited:

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
^Exactly what I plan on doing except I want to go black with my carrier piece. Since mine are already red if there's a little nook on the side or something I miss it oughta blend right in.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
looks like the g2 was worth it, thanks for sharing...wonderin' if I should paint the back of the pads too or the little metal circles showin?...

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
The little circles showing are the back of the pads, personally I think it looks better leaving them black. Gives the caliper some contrast, but that's just my opinion.

saleenssc1989

Established Member
I know some people go all out in painting their calipers with some expensive paint. However, i have been pretty fortunate to just brush my calipers with non hi-temp paint and never flakes or comes off. I used just reg. old Rust-Oleum paint out of a small can and used a small brush to brush it on. I never took the calipers off, didnt have to when brushing. I have painted almost 4 mustangs now with this method and havent had any trouble what so ever. Here are some pictures.

Saleen SSC front caliper:
img201.jpg

1995 Mustang GT:
95gt.png

2003 Mustang Cobra:
l5697429f0b53502033de88.jpg

lfafcf3d4db87626a66b52e.jpg

p1030031.jpg

I know these pictures are not too close to see, however by brushing the paint on gives you more of an accurate application. You do not have to worry about taping anything off nor getting overspray on the car or any other part you do not want.

Def. ensure that the caliper is clean before, which is pretty much a given, i just use brake cleaner and soak the caliper to clean it up.

As you can see im pretty partial to silver, but i have painted my friends mustangs calipers as well, and they have no trouble with paint coming off either.
Just my .02 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread