Brake Booster Installation

ChromeYellowCobra

Established Member
Hi fellas :)

I hope you're all doing well.

I just purchased my first Cobra - 1998 Chrome Yellow with 58k original miles. She's been very well maintained, but I noticed the brakes don't feel very strong. Looked a little more and noticed the brake booster is leaking. Does anyone happen to have a write up for this job? I searched all the threads and couldn't find any solid instructions for a 98.

Thank you so much in advance

ChromeYellowCobra

Established Member
I found these links which may offer some guidance:

1996 Mustang Brake Power Booster Replacement - MustangForums.com

This general link, view the top (3)YT vids, maybe there is some info that will help:
98 mustang brake booster removal - Google Search

https://www.rockauto.com/genImages/1/Brake Booster Install - Hydroboost.pdf

Wow thank you so much! huge help. I just purchased a Chilton's, and also an original Ford Service Manual. Heard the Ford one is the best resource for our cars. Thanks again :)

shurur

Established Member
There is a little 10mm bolt in around the DS fender well.
It is used to secure the metal lines to-from the brake reservoir.

If you remove the nut and get the hose bracket off the bolt inside the hood area, you will get yourself some play in those hard lines.

Just don't forget to put it back as you install the new booster.

ChromeYellowCobra

Established Member
There is a little 10mm bolt in around the DS fender well.
It is used to secure the metal lines to-from the brake reservoir.

If you remove the nut and get the hose bracket off the bolt inside the hood area, you will get yourself some play in those hard lines.

Just don't forget to put it back as you install the new booster.

Thanks man I appreciate the tip. LMR Finally got them back in stock today :)

Last edited:

ChromeYellowCobra

Established Member
My new hydroboost finally arrived today - and of course I've already ran into problems removing the old one.

Does anyone have any experience with this job? I did purchase a Ford Service/Chilton's manual - but even those aren't very detailed with respect to sizes/methods for removal.

I'm wondering if anyone may have any tips on how to remove the bottom 14mm bolt holding the master cylinder to the hydroboost.

Also, does anyone perhaps know the best tools/sizes to remove the power steering lines? I purchased a crowsfoot wrench set from Harbor Freight, but the 3/4 wrench doesn't feel right on the fitting. I hold the other side with channel locks, but it won't come loose. I'm afraid I'm going to damage the lines.

Any help would be much appreciated - thank you

Attachments

• boosterlines.jpg
    boosterlines.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 174

shurur

Established Member
Remove all the bolts and little hardware off the old booster before scrapping it. Keep it around and make sure you get all the shit you need from it!!...especially that bottom bolt to the master cylinder...it is very special, as it is left threaded on the back side. (Lefty tighty, righty loosy)

Try not to bend or twist the center star washer thing as you pull it out of the old one.

I think most every bolt involved was some metric size.

Last edited:

ChromeYellowCobra

Established Member
Remove all the bolts and little hardware off the old booster before scrapping it. Keep it around and make sure you get all the shit you need from it!!...especially that bottom bolt to the master cylinder...it is very special, as it is left threaded on the back side. (Lefty tighty, righty loosy)

Try not to bend or twist the center star washer thing as you pull it out of the old one.

I think most every bolt involved was some metric size.

hotcobra03 & shurur - thank you so much for the replies.

I tried an extension with a swivel & deep socket and was unable to get a grip on the nut.

When you say lefty tighty, righty loosy - that's kinda mindf'ing me lol.

If I'm standing at the drivers side wheel well facing the engine, and I have a wrench on the bolt - I would pull up?

brakebooster6.jpg

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
Not sure how much it will help, but I took photos of the entire hydroboost section from the 97 manual. I would assume there wouldn't be any fundamental differences between 97 and 98, so hopefully you'll be able to glean some info from it.
yrzmGqjKZmLggkA0vN2SxFFWFGmW2oH9HJPDNq-HjXcwVmj8B7viQMFQlJjQGK_UEdRO6r2g=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg
Fc9XXu3W8rsYAo92bDMuO5KLR6Ztc5upXWb8_Citz7gPqLqq5Zgatyb9rTCGbawlZLmpchgg=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg

Gs1_febbb86dD7sZqPfpT4A5-NlIfKDy9BpQfhe4cKw1MremlGnqEMmB2L2UlZajMUAgnlUg=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg

HCgOK73G-6WmSrX6k4aY_uDMANx1vL-rDksGen2vBj1p4DH1qQ8e1aKDjMjQJQZeCyflbgBA=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg

Z1v-mGCBvszDXgPW_d4jMa7JPFPEfd_bYZQ9fc8aqzwZcdnSF1us2NtZW-PJzZWZQrI_7Zpg=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg

EQW5Vs5K5f257OVn0NICQSoO0CH-U1_GB79Fwd9r00Xe4eDzk_l9udFVtGD3yV0Exd_xZRmQ=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:

ChromeYellowCobra

Established Member
ViciousBlack97 - wow man I really appreciate you taking the time out to send that - thank you.

So this is saying I remove the master cylinder with the brake booster? The directions that came with my booster said to separate the 2, and it was unnecessary to remove the master cylinder.

I have no problem taking the master cylinder out. My only concern is properly bleeding it upon installing.

shurur

Established Member
No I am talking about the bolt you need after you get the brake manifold off the booster and get the old booster out.

It is the bolt attached to the hydoboost.
You'll see after you get hydroboost out.

ChromeYellowCobra

Established Member
shurur - okay I'm looking forward to getting this thing out and seeing that bolt lol.

ViciousBlack97 - thanks again for the photos and good call @ pull out as an assembly. I was looking at this article on removing master cylinder:
Ford Mustang 1994 to 2014 How to Replace Brake Master Cylinder

It says "Make sure to plug the brake lines immediately after disconnecting them from the master cylinder to prevent air from entering the HCU. The HCU on this ABS system cannot be bled without a very expensive tool."

Any recommendations on ways to plug the brake lines?

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
shurur - okay I'm looking forward to getting this thing out and seeing that bolt lol.

ViciousBlack97 - thanks again for the photos and good call @ pull out as an assembly. I was looking at this article on removing master cylinder:
Ford Mustang 1994 to 2014 How to Replace Brake Master Cylinder

It says "Make sure to plug the brake lines immediately after disconnecting them from the master cylinder to prevent air from entering the HCU. The HCU on this ABS system cannot be bled without a very expensive tool."

Any recommendations on ways to plug the brake lines?
I wouldn't worry too much about excess air entering the lines. Do you have a vacuum bleeder? If so, you could just pull all of the air from the bleeder on the master.

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
No problem man, we've all got to start somewhere. I think the hydro boost bleeding procedure recommends having one anyway. I've just got one of the manual ones that you pump by hand. They're pretty inexpensive, but work great.

Users who are viewing this thread