Brake booster clevis pin

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone got any tips to take this thing apart? I've been fighting with it for over an hour now with no luck. The service manual leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, it's worthless.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Snoopy, my manual has the same instruction, which isn't letting the pin loose. I'm going to try driving it out and if that doesn't work, I'm going to just cut it. Outer pin is plastic, but it's got a metal inner piece.

Snoopy49

Established Member
It looks like the clevis pin is actually 2 different parts. The metal part is inserted into the plastic part and when you compress the plastic tabs on the plastic piece you have to pull the metal pin out of the plastic piece before you can remove plastic piece. It looks like the metal piece acts like a locking pin as well as a load bearing pin.

Here area couple of pictures of the pin assembly.
3M5Z-2L523-AA Pin Assembly 2.jpg

3M5Z-2L523-AA Pin Assembly 3.jpg

3M5Z-2L523-AA Pin Assembly.jpg

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
They say a picture is worth a thousand words and this is a case in point. Much appreciated, Snoopy. I figured the metal pin came out, but the tip is obscured from my view. I now see I had my 11mm wrench in the wrong place, but I'm not sure that tab is holding the pin in place. I've been trying to get the metal pin out, but I can't get anything under it to pry it out because of that recess around it.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I may be wrong about removing the metal part, every picture that I ran across that showed the pin in the sealed package, shows the metal pin fully inserted into the plastic housing. Since it is a one use part and has to be replaced after you remove it, I wonder if the large diameter end gets damaged when you pry it out?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Found this on youtube. It's an F-150, but the pin looks to be the same. This looks way too easy.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
With the right pry tool, it was literally as easy as it came out in the video. Hope this helps someone else. I wasted the better part of yesterday afternoon trying to figure that out.

Users who are viewing this thread