Brake Bleeding Pointers

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
I'm just about done getting my car back together. I'm tackling the task of bleeding the brakes now. I have all calipers completely off and mostly all the fluid drained out of the lines/MC. I've bled all 4 brakes until no air was in the clear tube anymore and then closed the bleeder (used the one man bleeder from autozone). Yes, I did make sure that the MC was full the whole time and never ran out of fluid and yes, I did pass rear, driver rear, pass front, driver front. I did not bleed the MC though, as I wasn't aware that I needed to do this.
The car also hasn't been started in a year. Could this be a reason why i'm not getting any pressure on the brakes?

Please check how I'm doing it. I'm taking the barb from the bleeder valve to teh clear tube to the container. I open the bleeder valve and pump the brakes until no air is in the clear tube, then close the bleeder and move onto the next one.

94venomV8

Established Member
when I was young my dad taught me a trick that has always worked for me for getting all the air bubbles. Pump the brakes to force air to the bleeder til the pedal gets hard then open the bleeder and repeat. After a couple times it usually gets it all out and I have always had luck with that, not saying its the right or wrong way but its what works for me.

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
when I was young my dad taught me a trick that has always worked for me for getting all the air bubbles. Pump the brakes to force air to the bleeder til the pedal gets hard then open the bleeder and repeat. After a couple times it usually gets it all out and I have always had luck with that, not saying its the right or wrong way but its what works for me.

That is the way i was taught was well.

HOWEVER, i have used the one-man bleeding system before with successful results.

Looks like you are doing everything fine.
Is it a new master cylinder?
Why the need to bleed the whole system?

venomous99

Established Member
i used a pressure bleeder from the MC. bled every corner and still a spongy pedal. it was only after the bled the MC did the pressure come back.

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
That is the way i was taught was well.

HOWEVER, i have used the one-man bleeding system before with successful results.

Looks like you are doing everything fine.
Is it a new master cylinder?
Why the need to bleed the whole system?

I had the whole drivetrain out when I was getting the rear build, 03 tranny and forged engine. I was also putting on stainless steel lines and re-painting my calipers. All the brake lines were just left hanging and I just let all the fluid run out. I'll try and bleed the MC, although I've never heard of doing this before yesterday. Any pointers on that?

9cobrastang7

Gogo Green Machine
Established Member
Got It!!!!

Alright guys went back out and bled the MC then bled all the brakes pass rear, driver rear, pass front and driver front and the brake is strong now. No sponginess or going all the way to the floor!
:banana: So close to being done! Just waiting on some IC Pipes to be welded up and then I'm trailering it over to the tuner for intial startup and dyno tune!

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
Alright guys went back out and bled the MC then bled all the brakes pass rear, driver rear, pass front and driver front and the brake is strong now. No sponginess or going all the way to the floor!
:banana: So close to being done! Just waiting on some IC Pipes to be welded up and then I'm trailering it over to the tuner for intial startup and dyno tune!

Good to hear.
First for everythi8ng EH!:beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread