Brake Bleeders

1999marg

Established Member
Changing brake fluid for me is always a two person affair. Has anyone ever used Russell or Earls speed bleeders? This seems like an inexpensive mode that can really cut down the time necessary to change your brake fluid.

How about the Speedi-bleed tool? Here is a link.

Speedi-Bleed – Specialty Brake Bleeder Kit

Thanks for the input

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I looked at the link but I never made the job that complicated.

I have a cheapo Lisle brake bleeding kit that consists of a small container, several different sized rubber bleeder adapters and hose.
I do have speed bleeders so its as simple as, install the hose/container onto the bleeder, crack open the brake bleeder, pump the pedal a few times. Walk around the car and look in the clear line to see new fluid, how full the container is and if there are any air bubbles in the line. All I have to do is empty the catch container after each corner and keep the MC reservoir full.

Start with the RR, then LR, RF and finish with the LF.

I can do it by myself with the speedbleeders but I still have my wife pump the brakes for me. She used to do it and actually was sad when I told her I didn't need her help bleeding brakes anymore. So I might have made up an excuse to re-include her in the process.;-)

I hope this helps.

1999marg

Established Member
Bleeders

Thank you for the help. Like you I use whoever is in the house! The problem is I tend to do all 4 cars at once. The bleeders cost ~$10 a wheel. I think a pressurized bleeder like Motive Products might just do the trick. A three prong Ford Cap and bleeder is only $65 plus shipping. Add another $21 for the Saab adaptor and I am in business. It should be fine as long as I do not over pressurize the system. Can you imagine blowing up the reservoir! Hey I will take it real slow the first few times I use it.

Mike

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
I recently bought one of these:
VS403.jpg

It's a vacuum pump so it should be easy to change fluid on your own. There are also air powered vacuum bleeders but I like this one more since it's more portable.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I recently bought one of these:
VS403.jpg

It's a vacuum pump so it should be easy to change fluid on your own. There are also air powered vacuum bleeders but I like this one more since it's more portable.

I've been useing one similar for years.

Mitey-vac.
About $25 at autozone

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I've been useing one similar for years.

Mitey-vac.
About $25 at autozone

Like Barry, I use the Mighty Vac as well. Been using one for about 25 years give or take.

Usually I'm in the shop alone when I'm working on the cars and I just don't have an assistant to pump the brakes. Also when I'm at the track, most of the potential 'assistants' are either on track or have other jobs to do themselves.

I've found the vacuum pump works great. But when I first started using it I 'thought' I was sucking air because air bubbles never went away. I fixed that by wrapping the threads on the bleeder screws with MANY layers of Teflon tape. You have to put a LOT of tape on it otherwise it will leak air. The Teflon will last a couple of years before it needs to be re-wrapped.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
But when I first started using it I 'thought' I was sucking air because air bubbles never went away. I fixed that by wrapping the threads on the bleeder screws with MANY layers of Teflon tape. You have to put a LOT of tape on it otherwise it will leak air. The Teflon will last a couple of years before it needs to be re-wrapped.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

I never thought of that but it makes perfect sence! You probably saved me some head ache there :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread