Brake backing plates, anyone have a source

SL 1993 R

Established Member
I'm looking for some brake backing plates with the inlet for the air to be forced onto the rotor from the front bumper duct.. anyone have a source for them.. its for my 93R

Andy M

Established Member
The ones on the 2000 R come from a company called Multimatics. I will check the little black book and see if there is a number for them?..

They are made of carbon fiber. I assume this is what you are talking about? heat shields right?

SL 1993 R

Established Member
thanx Mark,,

I also looked at that web site prior.. It would be nice to drop into Roush and pickup those items, but I'm in CA.. The Roush website doesn't have any of those parts listed....

are you running backing plates with ducts on yours.. on another website, they talked about using the 3 inch fans in line for the brakes, and that it was more hinderance than good..

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I'm running the Baer 4 piston Alcon system on my R along with a 6 inch cooling tube running to the general area of the brakes and I've never experienced brake fade. Running the air to the center is probably best but I've never boiled my brakes yet.

Additionally the lower weight of the 93R's (mine is 3050 lbs with me in it, 12 gallons of gas, full glass and the heater) vs the 00 R (around 3600-3700 with driver) means we don't tax the brakes as much as our younger cousins.

Andy M

Established Member
I called Multimatic and they told me that Sean Hyland Motorsports is supposed to have a stash of the '00 R carbon fiber heat shield kits on hand. They did not make very many more than originally needed for the 2000 R, and he told me they were not planning another production run because they felt there was not a good market for them because of the high cost of the carbon fiber.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by 93SVTCobra
I'm running the Baer 4 piston Alcon system on my R along with a 6 inch cooling tube running to the general area of the brakes and I've never experienced brake fade. Running the air to the center is probably best but I've never boiled my brakes yet.

Additionally the lower weight of the 93R's (mine is 3050 lbs with me in it, 12 gallons of gas, full glass and the heater) vs the 00 R (around 3600-3700 with driver) means we don't tax the brakes as much as our younger cousins.

Don't forget that the newer cars are alot faster, thus taxing the brakes more also. :lol: :D :beer:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Don't forget that the newer cars are alot faster, thus taxing the brakes more also. :lol: :D :beer:

That's debatible!! Hope your going to be at Gingerman!!:burnout:

Cobra-R

Established Member
That's debatible!! Hope your going to be at Gingerman!!:burnout:

Havn't heard back from dean yet. (I assume he has talked to you by now?)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Steve:

You can also do what we did in the low buck "good 'ole days".

Get some components (flanges) from a good hardware store for dryer ducting. Size it down to 3" and use some good 'ole 3" RV sewer hose from Wally World. Use a cut-out and modified coffee can or paint can bottom rivet it all together and bang zoom you've got some low buck ducting. Paint it black and nobody will be the wiser!

Those of use who have done so much with so little for so long; can do practically anything with nothing! :lol:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

SL 1993 R

Established Member
I still might make my own... now that I have an idea of what is available, I'll probably make my own setup.. I'm leaning towards running two 3 inch lines to the brakes,, one for the rotor, and one directed towards the caliper/pads.. hopefully this weekend, I'll get a prototype put together..

anyone have any thoughts on the dual line setup,,, I read about this in some Nascar short track tips, but they run 3 lines for cooling..

Cobra-R

Established Member
I spoke to Dean today....he's going to be there!!

Ok, I was under the impression he was going to talk to you about something else also, no biggy.

Users who are viewing this thread