Brake Advice

sn95.ohh

Established Member
Hi all,

So I have autocrossed my car(IRS swapped 94 GT) for about 2 years now and I think the next step to really pick up some time is to work on the brakes.

Currently the braking system is completely stock. Compared to just about every car out there my pedal feels like pudding and has very little response and very little initial bite. I feel like I am shaving alot of time not having quick response or the bite in the systems.

What pads would you all recommend? I drive extremely spirited on the streets and attend 2-3 autocross events a month.

Pads and lines are expensive and I was looking into just doing pads and SS lines up front for now. My worry is if I put nice pads on the front it will move my bias to far forwards. And will just putting SS lines on the front(IRS lines are twice as much) decrease the spongy feel enough or should I hold off and do all four corners at once.

Thank you,
-Rob

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Jeez I hate to bring this up because I know I'm going to get flamed, but here goes. Back in the 70s we were doing a lot of autocrosses with corvettes, we built a highly modded one that had fiberglass springs front and rear, the fuel tank and radiator was in the back of the car and it had (vented) drum brakes. People asked us why and the reason was because at most autocrosses you just don't build up a lot of heat and discs weren't necessary. the drums had vented backing plates and we drilled the drums as well so they were about 30% the weight of the discs that everyone was running. Just something to think about but I've never built an autocrass car with what would be considered "big brakes".

Let the flaming begin......

Users who are viewing this thread