Bought new house. changing locks. what brand do i buy?

ibleedblue65

Established Member
Personally all I think locks do is keep honest people honest. I keep a big dog and strategically hidden firearms and have good neighbors. Cheapest locks available on my house. There are 11 windows(had to count) ground level on my home. If someone wants to get in, they will.

xenodragon

Established Member
Like the above post said..locks keep honest people honest. It is incredible easy to pick a lock with a $20 lock pick kit. I have put picked all locks in my house and car doors. Also fire proof safes are a complete joke a hammer and a screw driver and one hard hit its open

So long story short it doesn't matter what brand you go with

oldmodman

Established Member
Medico.

But first, solid, metal filled doors, double sided deadbolts, including all interior doors. bars on all the windows (on the inside where they can't be seen).

But Schlage is fine unless you live here in Los Angeles or Miami.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Medico.

But first, solid, metal filled doors, double sided deadbolts, including all interior doors. bars on all the windows (on the inside where they can't be seen).

But Schlage is fine unless you live here in Los Angeles or Miami.

I've never seen bars on the inside of the windows, but I guess that's the point. I might have to check into that. As for the OP, one of the houses I recently looked at had Electronic keypad locks on the outside doors. I didn't see the brand name, but I'm considering them myself.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I've never seen bars on the inside of the windows, but I guess that's the point. I might have to check into that. As for the OP, one of the houses I recently looked at had Electronic keypad locks on the outside doors. I didn't see the brand name, but I'm considering them myself.

Problem those rubber buttons and paint being in the sun and rain and being pushed the ones you choose for the combination are going to wear.. My buddy's door has it.. "upgrade" wheb he built his house.. They look like ass... 160$ or so just front door lock

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Like the above post said..locks keep honest people honest. It is incredible easy to pick a lock with a $20 lock pick kit. I have put picked all locks in my house and car doors. Also fire proof safes are a complete joke a hammer and a screw driver and one hard hit its open

So long story short it doesn't matter what brand you go with
a fireproof safe is not really meant to keep a thief out. most of them are portable. they are meant to keep your important papers and valuables from burning up in case of a fire.

OrangeMachine

Established Member
I can pick a quickset lock twice as fast as a schlage lock. It's about the tolerances of the pins/tumbler. But as others have said, if someone wants in they'll get in. And probably not through the locked door.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Problem those rubber buttons and paint being in the sun and rain and being pushed the ones you choose for the combination are going to wear.. My buddy's door has it.. "upgrade" wheb he built his house.. They look like ass... 160$ or so just front door lock

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll stick with a quality deadbolt.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
frame is where the break is likely to occur. My in laws had their door kicked in. The frame and lower lock gave out, the dead bolt was locked at all.

Poppacapp

Established Member

I have this for my deadbolt. Works pretty good and I don't have to mess with keys.

Schlage Home Security - Plymouth Keypad Deadbolt

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I have Schlage Everest everywhere that's critical. http://professional.schlage.com/products/pc_sks_everest_rkey_customers.asp

They can't be picked in the normal fashion, which is actually bad; I've got locks on my home I can't pick.

One big thing in favor of the Everest is that the local Home Cheapo can't copy the keys. At some point you're going to have some work done in the home and need to surrender your keys. With this in mind, if whoever is doing the work (if they're in contact with some less-than-honest folks) they can't just get the keys copied; they've got to get to a locksmith, which will leave a trail.

Also, deadbolt and handle set use different keys, or have the handleset keyed for 2 keys. Make the deadbolt key open both locks, and have one key that does the handle alone. You and family use the masters, and the handle key is for loaning to contractors and the like. When you have a contractor in, leave the deadbolt unlocked. If they do steal a key, it'll only open the handle; you and family will still be protected by the deadbolt. "Do Not Duplicate" stamped on the keys will deter an honest locksmith. Keep the paperwork in case you need more keys.

Houses have windows, so you need cameras at strategic locations. DB Power IP Camera Review - YouTube (not going to imbed, click if you want to) DB Power cameras are drastically cheap, available at the 'Bay for $50 or so. I'm not a fan of putting cameras in inhabited space, so these cheapy cams could survive under the eaves of houses, where they will stay dry. Cheap enclosures are available, but can't be used with these cameras as the're IR emitting.

Panasonic BL-C230A - Wireless Network Camera - Overview $250.00 or so new. ($150 refurb'd) Panasonic Network Pan-Tilt Cameras (refurb'd)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread