bought car new but think it has been partially repainted

V8Mustang

Established Member
Picked up a new '04 a few months back at a dealer in FL. I waxed it for the first time and noticed that the Left front fender was covered with little tiny bubbles or pimples. I could not find any on the hood or door next to the fender but there seem to be a few on the right fender also (like about 1% of what is on the left fender).

Before picking up the car I told the dealer that I did not want a car that had been damaged and repainted at some point and they told me it had never been touched.

Does anyone know how to tell via Ford records if the car had been repainted at some point?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
These cars have very poor quality paint jobs. Its not suprising that you found defects. Now is your only good chance to have them fix any problems with the paint.

BLWN46

Established Member
PM me the vin# and i'll check OASIS for previous warranty coverage on this problem. Or could have been a transport problem? TC

V8Mustang

Established Member
03 svtvenom said:
I am not sure but either way I would take it back, complain and make them repaint it.

I am real picky when it comes to paint which is why I asked the dealer up front if this car had been worked before. I have had several cars painted over the years and if you get one section painted, you can be sure it will not match the rest of the car (maybe not now or in a few years it will fade differently). The only way to do it right would be a complete re-paint. And that could start a whole bunch of problems (a friend had his '89 repained way back then due to something similar and his began to peel and crack after a couple of years). The only right way would be to sand it all back down to the factory primer and start over, which they will not do.

pld

SoOntRebel
Established Member
badboy said:
These cars have very poor quality paint jobs. Its not suprising that you found defects. Now is your only good chance to have them fix any problems with the paint.
Not on mine, you should go look at some C5 vettes and even the new c6's; MAJOR orange peel. If I compare my Cobra paint job to the paint on the C5 I had it's like night and day. :rollseyes

metaman

Established Member
This may have also been caused by someone spraying clear paint on something when the car was nearby on the lot. If the some shipping plastic where still on the car it would have protected some areas like the front clip and hood. Chances are the defects are in the clear coat and can be wet sanded and polished out.

csumt76

Established Member
Ive seen brand new mercedes smashed at the VPC where someone had wrecked it or damaged it in transport. If the total damage doesnt exceed a certain percentage of the cars value, they can just repair it and are not required to report it or document it.... But they had a bunch of bays with all kinds of tools/equipment and a handful of guys that got paid top dollar to make the cars right so....you would never notice. With a Ford though, im sure it wouldnt be so intense.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
pld said:
Not on mine, you should go look at some C5 vettes and even the new c6's; MAJOR orange peel. If I compare my Cobra paint job to the paint on the C5 I had it's like night and day. :rollseyes

You must have got a good one. But I know what you mean, I was parked beside a girl I work with the other day that has a new Caddy CTS. Orange peel was bad on it too.

V8Mustang

Established Member
metaman said:
This may have also been caused by someone spraying clear paint on something when the car was nearby on the lot. If the some shipping plastic where still on the car it would have protected some areas like the front clip and hood. Chances are the defects are in the clear coat and can be wet sanded and polished out.

You may be right and I will take it to a few places and see what they think. I do have a friend of a friend who works in a body shop at a Ford dealer and he is supposed to be very good. I am 800 miles away from my car right now but in a few weeks I will be with the car and able to get some more opinions and I will post what I find.

Users who are viewing this thread